Ionisers for Asthma.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My wife was taken into hospital  a couple of days ago and is the second time within 6 weeks. She has Asthma and uses the tubes  Brown blue and purple. She has suffered for a long time with this but it is only the last two years that the problem has got worse.

​Her GP told her therewas a lack of oxygen in her blood and also X Rays were taken which diagnosed Pnumonia in her right lung.  whilst in hospital she was given Steroids and Anti Biotics. She also was constantly on oxygen until the levels reached a figure where they were able to allow her home.

She visited her GP again about her breathing and was sent to Hospital where again they have kept her in. This time they are doing blood tests and asked he if she lives in a dusty enviroment.

​2 years ago our Son And Daughter who are Twins brought home a Lion Head Rabbit and this is now a house Rabbit. It does have very fine longish fur and is always trying to snuggle up to my wife. Could this be the source of the problem? I have also been told to buy an ioniser? would this help with Asthma?

Kind regards Dennis

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dennis, sorry you're wife's haven't a difficult time.

however have you thought about a dehumidifier one with silver and ioniser? I've just last night ordered one online for my Son and their 3 small children, we ordered our a couple of weeks ago. They take the damp out and mould, fungus etc, as well as make the air clean. They even dry your washing.

Anyway Google dehumidifiers and see what you think.

regards

Rosemary

• Posted

She could be allergic to the rabbit, tell your GP that you got a rabbit around the time her asthma started getting worse (two years ago), and that it lives in the house. Ask for allergy testing, this may be a skin prick test.

You could also try keeping the rabbit outside for a while and seeing if her symptoms improve. Make sure you hoover and dust the house too or you might not see any effect.

I hope you find the source of the problem soon.

(P.S. I am a medical student, not a doctor! But I have allergies which got worse when I had a rabbit, which is a similar condition to asthma.)

• Posted

Hi Dennis,

It could well be the rabbit, if the timings seem to tie up. I would definately speak with your GP and look to limiting the area the rabbit has access to in the house - putting the animal outside full time when it has been living indoors for so long will have an impact on it.

I have cats, which I have had my whole life and i think i have just grown ammune to their allegens. However put me in a room with a rabbit or a guinea pig and the wheezing starts.

when i was small i used to let the cat sleep at the end of my bed, however, now the cats are limited to downstairs only and that has definately made a huge difference. so limiting the rabbit area might help.

Hope your wife gets better soon.

• Posted

I have Asthma and Eosinophilia for good measure 

We had two rabbits, kept outdoors but they came indoors too, whenever I cleaned them out or got close they would set my asthma off very badly.

We also had a lion head, they have long fine fur which is almost certainly a big factor.  They usually do allergy tests for cats and dogs, not rabbits though ! 

Get et them in a hutch outdoors ASAP and make sure your wife keeps well away from them and does not clean them out ...... They are v cute animals but v bad for asthma sufferers 

• Posted

Sorry ! 

Meant to to say that the rabbit hair is v difficult to get rid of completely, it sticks to soft furnishings, clothes, carpets etc.

effectively any tasks such as laundry, housework will bring your wife into contact with rabbit fur.

if you banish the bunnies outside and do a really deep clean you should get some immediate improvement but it could take several months of normal cleaning cycles before its gone from clothes, carpets and furnishings etc 

Hard floors seem to be much better for me as they can be washed or wiped down. We do still have a (Maine coon) cat and he has long fur is a lot less of a problem than the bunnies !  

• Posted

Thank you all for your most interesting replies.

I and the rest of the family have been concerned about her condition.

​The Rabbit we have is a lion head and has long fur and moults regularly.

​I was 60 a week ago and was taken to Munich for a surprise vacation and my wife seemed to be fine. No difficulties walking nor short of breathness. However since arriving home she has begun to weez and cough a lot more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.