IPSS Cushing’s

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, me again!

I’m having an IPSS before i have the surgery and I’m VERY nervous about it as I have a fear of needles!! 

Has anyone else had one (where they put the needles/wires up through the arteries in your legs and up through your neck and into your brain...?!) 

Would love to know your experiences! 

Xxxx

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Camilla

Yes i have but it was many many years ago. I think I was very optimistic as I knew that this proceedure was necessary for my surgeon to know exactly how to approach the surgical removal of the pituitary tumor. I do remember that everything went smooth ...the nurses and dr were very supportive and kept me comfortable. I'm sure you will do just fine. Please keep us posted here as we all care how you are doing.

• Posted

Hi yes I did have that IPPS.  It is not pleasant but it is not as bad as you fear re:the needles.  You may experience a sense of the wire going through your body but I had another injection during the procedure which made me feel quite good!  There is nothing to worry about, there is a nurse at your head all the time to tell you what is happening.  It is not painful at all!  The procedure is a must because it will tell the surgeon exactly where the tumour is and help him to know exactly where to go.  The staff will explain all this to you.  Don't be scared, it is another huge step forward to getting better.

• Posted

THANK YOU both!! Makes me feel a lot better!! 

Xxx

• Posted

Hi. I remember that test well. But it’s a must. The golden test it’s refered to. So I hope it is golden for u An gives ur docs the answers they need. For me it wasn’t a pleasant experience. But the nurses an doctors are right beside u, an asking do u feel ok. So if u ever feel unwell just tell them. I did pressure in my head An could hear the wires wat felt like was in my ears but they’re not. An after wards I was very red, jus due to the contrast but I would b a bit sensitive that way. I was fine after. U lie for so many hours after an then off u go home. It definitely worth havin done. But not a test I think anyone would run back to get done unless necessary. You’ll b grand. Just think loads of ppl have had this done An you’ll get thru it. X
    • Posted

Thank you! Good to know as I’m REALLY SCARED but you all have made me feel a lot better about it! Xxxx
    • Posted

I was really scared too. But I knew it had to be done. An kept sayin to myself, loads of people have had this before an they were ok. Only natural to be nervous. But the sooner done then one step closer to surgery for u. X
  • Posted

Hi!

I had the test in decemeber 2017 and it was nothing to worry about it sounds a lot worse than it is. Its more uncomfortable than painful. To be honest i found the 2 hours lying flat on your back afterwards the most boring thing!!

Im still waiting for my surgery i have an appointment with the clinic tomorrow wish me luck ha! I hope things work out well for you and things move quickly i understand how hard it is! Let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Thank you! Good luck with everything and let me know how it goes! Do you know when your op is? Seems long to wait!!

Xxx

• Posted

I've never had it done but I've read lots about it

I suggest you could read patient stories from major hospitals

Personally I would avoid it but that is just me

I would ask them for an mri instead

I wouldnt feel comfortable with a needle like that

My feeling is that they should already know where my tumor is

Sorry, im probably no help at all

Some say it is no trouble but there are risks

• Posted

Hi Courtney,  We know that you feel strongly about the IPSS test but it really is absolutely necessary to locate the tumour, an MRI is not enough to show the surgeon the precise situation of the tumour.  We have most of us gone through it and it is NOT that bad.
    • Posted

Yes, your right

It might be a very helpful test

I dont recall enough about it right now

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.