Iron accumulation in the brain

Posted , 2 users are following.

My consultant told me that iron does not accumulate in the brain but I keep reading that it does. What is correct?

I ask because on three separate occasions over a period of 6 years I have had visual disturbances when driving. Everything around me becomes enlarged. I looked it up, its called macropsia or Alice in wonderland syndrome. They are like hallucinations. Ive had to stop driving as a result as they are very disorientating and did cause a crash the first time.

Im convinced these were caused by the iron overload ( I hadnt been diagnosed then) but my consultant says No as iron doesnt accumulate in the brain. Can anyone explain this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Migraines cause all sorts of visual disturbances - my husband only gets migraines with aura which start off as a small black dot in his eyes and work their way outwards then disappear. Could it be a form of migraine?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.