Is anyone breastfeeding whilst taking Sertraline?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi My doctor has prescribed me this drug and has told me it's safe to continue to breastfeed ny son. I have tried to do some research on the subject but have found little information. I am really worried about starting to take this medication. I have had this before many years ago but not whilst feeding and trying to care for a little one. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would get a second opinion, or perhaps if you're worried switch your baby to bottle feeding.  Do you have a peditrician for your baby, if so consult them for their opinion.

• Posted

Hi Maureen75524 I have been told that only tiny amounts of the drug pass into the milk so it is deemed one of the safest drug to use. I really don't want to stop breastfeeding I'd rather not take the tablets but I want to feel better! I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. But thank you for taking the time to reply it's greatfully appreciated

• Posted

I am ! I went to 3 different doctors to ask and they all gave me the ok !
    • Posted

Hi Michelle63291 smile How long have you been taking them for and do you mind me asking what dose you are on? How old is your little one and have uou noticed anything different? Sorry for all the questions xx

• Posted

50 at first now on 100 ! She is 2 and I will stop breast-feeding Soon I hope lol ! I had no plans on feeding this long but she did ! And what kind of differences do you mean?
    • Posted

smile Have you noticed any difference in your daughter like side effects? What time do you take your tablets and did you suffer from side effects at 1st? I'm just so anxious about taking the tablets! Thank you for taking the time to reply to me it really is appreciated smile

• Posted

No not at all ! I take them In the am yes I had some side effects but for me I need to take meds ! I have OCD and anxiety so bad sometimes I can barely function !
    • Posted

Thank you. I have started taking tablets now had a few side effects but not as bad as I 1st feared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.