Is extreme irritability and annoyance normal during panic attacks?

Posted , 5 users are following.

During most of my panic attacks I'll get annoyed and irritated by literally everything. I visited my Grandmom at the hospital today and I had one while my family members were having a conversation and I felt the need to get out because just hearing them talk was making me worse. Then when I was eating lunch in a cafeteria the man behind me was listening to a video on his phone and hearing the noise was making me feel the need to panic. Then I ended up having a 3rd attack once my heart rate went up high as we were leaving. In the car there was a truck infront of us and it had a phrase written on it. The phrase was causing me to panic more and I felt like I needed to get away from that truck as soon as possible. Sometimes it happens with TV shows too and I feel like they annoy me and I need to turn them off. I don't know if it's just part of the fight or flight or what. does anyone else get this extreme annoyance during panic attacks?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Listen it is a sensory overload processing disorder. That is what is going on. Any additional sensory stimulation compounds it. You are already at your max. So yes people talking, not even to you just in the room, or other activety around you it all too much for your senses. Does that make sense. Tour body is already in fight or flight at that point. You have to cqlm it down or wait it out without fearing it. Already its sending fear thru you. Dont fear the fear. Easier said then done. But the answer is absolutely.
  • Posted

Yes big time ive been noticeng me do that alot like today me and my son we trying bake some stuff i was getting frustrated and angry cause we didnt have all of the things we needed and my son was agitateating me i was wanting to run into my room but i just sat down and took a big breather for awile then got up and apolgiesd to my son and continue to do our best with what we had.
  • Posted

I'm not sure.

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?

• Posted

Yeah I know all about hyperventilation. We just have to learn to breathe properly lol through oru diaphram and stomach not our chest. I agree that its not fair that the poor people on here cant find the help they need. I pray that they do find it one day soon!
  • Posted

Hi CNB102

​Keep in mind also that these panic attacks happened in a hospital. It's quite a common phobia, believe it or not. The same could happen in a dentist's office or the gym. This is because your concentrating on your body even the antispetic smell of the hospital enviroment can be enough to trigger an attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.