Is headache a side effect of carbamazepine?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Hoping someone can help with some advice.

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a few weeks ago after suffering with shocks in teeth and face for a few years. The pain is not unbearable but painful at times.

I was started on carbamazepine 200mg to take at night but because I already take 20mg of amitriptyline for fibromyalgia I had to come off these first.

So started taking carbamazepine 2 weeks ago and pain improved immediately but started suffering from a tension headache, sickness and dizziness. Persevered for a week but side effects were not improving so my doctor decreased dose to 100mg. The pain still was fairly well controlled on this dose and feeling of sickness and dizziness improved but tension head ache remains and is probably worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if this is a side effect of the carbamazepine or because of stopping amitriptyline. Any advice would be grateful.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I took ebitol for 3 months prior to surgery. I think that is also carbamazepine generic. Did not noticed headaches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.