Is my pain normal after foot surgery.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am 16 days post op tendon transfer, second time ( first one was too loose).part of the old tendon was left and sewn into new tendon and this was too tight, ripping retinaculum and causing scar tissue sticking all my tendons together.

All issues were dealt with and I am I. A short leg cast non weight baring for 6 weeks.

Last week I was changed ROM back slab to full fibreglass cast, below knee. The cast was too tightly sculptured to my foot and it kept pressing on my wounds. I was in terrible pain. They changed the cast two days ago and there is some improvement. I am just concerned that I still have a lot of pain over ankle and sometimes when I move my leg I get very sharpstabbing and pulling feeling. I am wondering if the tight cast has retorn the repair. Today I have pain and prickling all over my heel and nerve pain on the other side of my foot. I also have muscle spasm in my calf feeling like a pulled muscle. I am very worried, can someone suggest if this is all normal. Thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would say there is nothing you can do to make the situation better now, but I’m not sure. If it was me I will use pills... Although I’m against pills!

I wonder how you understand it had been too loose before. I think mine is too tight! Because when I squat and dorsiflexion or even walk I have pain on the other side of my foot and in my calf feeling like a pulled muscle. It is probably week 15, and when I move my leg I get pulling feeling.

• Posted

Hi,

The surgeon told me it was too loose.

He said that the first time it was done, by another surgeon, he stitched the transfer to what was left of the post tib tendon but did it too tight. It stuck to the retinaculum and tore it. The transfer was left too loose. When they did an ultra sound scan they thought

• Posted

Sorry pressed post by accident. They thought the tendon transfer was thickened an had micro tears, but it was puckered up. He stretched it out and it was fine. I had a lot of adhesions which had to be debrided, I think this is why it is so sore. He told me they should be tighter to start with and they loosen off after time. I read that you should not overstretch it for six months. Then it should settle. Walking is good at first.
    • Posted

Wow! They didn’t tell me this information. I also have had tendon transfer, now I’m so frightened; I walk a lot after this surgery! Doctor told me to walk! I may have damaged it if it’s that much weak! What should I do now?

Mine was too tight that I was unable to walk (because of no inversion at all, so no ROM of feet and planter flex) I go to PT and done so many exercises, now the range of motion is better (although still inversion is limited) BUT maybe I damaged the tendon!

I seat for almost 8 hours a day (in office) is it going to damage the tendon also?

What do you mean with "Walking is good at first." would you please explain.

What should I do to not damage this tendon? Should I still ICE?! Should I elevate? Are these things just to relive pain or any other advantages?

• Posted

Hi sorry for not replying sooner we lost internet, had to have new modem.

Don't worry. Not all exercises stretch the tenfon adversely, I'm sure your PT would not Give you the wrong exercises. What I meant by walking is good at first, is that walking is a good exercise after tendon transfer as your PT said. My surgeon said they do them tight and then they loosen off. I suppose i f they are too loose at first they would not support the foot after they have been used or exercised. Did they tell you yours was too tight or is that your impression?

The whole thing is so worrying. So many different things going on.

• Posted

Hi, please do not leave smile, because I didn’t find anyone who had done the same things as mine.

Being too tight is my impression; the surgeon is telling me everything is too good! But I’m not happy, I was so much better before, I have different pain (come and go) and also I do not feel good when walking, my foot is not the way it should be I think! I also have sometimes bad sharp pain inside ankle (The opposite site of surgery), when walking. Yes so many different things going on, and worst part is that I really don’t know what to expect in future.

My hearts with you, you also pray for me...

• Posted

Hi, I will pray for you, l believe in the power of prayer.

I was a bit better yesterday. Not too bad tody but trapped nerve in foot is back.

Did you have an FDL tendon transfer & did they remove you post tib tendon.

• Posted

Thanks, I actually feel worse I’m so frightened.

I don’t know how you say you have trapped nerve? Because your pains is like mines and I did a test on nerve, and doctor said my nerves are OK.

I’m totally exhausted, I was for sure better before the surgery than now...

• Posted

So sorry you feel so bad. I know how you feel. I sm frightened too. Makes one feel sick so y

ou can't eat. I feel I have a trapped nerve as this is a new pain ,only started on Friday. One place feel like it is pinching, keeps throbbing and I am getting twitching and jumping. I'll see what I am like tommorow and call my surgeon.

Which tendon did you have transferred?

• Posted

It was done because of Torn ATFL & CFL, after Ankle Sprain.

Exactly "makes you feel sick and not want to eat."

I have seeing the surgeon so many times, it’s actually not helping anymore. He is telling it would become better by time. First he told in 3 months then he is telling in 6 months & I’m almost sure then again he will extend it!

Look! I have the exact same pain, and it’s new to me too! It feels like a pinching just in front of inside ankle bone.

I asked about this pain from PT, she only said its nothing and it’s because of stretching, then as this is frightening I asked about this from surgeon too and he also said it’s because of stretching! I really don’t like this stretching and pain... Its look alike my ankle is twisting and going to broke inward!

I really don’t know any more...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.