Is scoliosis my fault? Did I worsen or cause it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, at 17 or 18 years I had underweight at only 55 kg for a year as a male. Then at 19 years they diagnosed me with a 20° S curve scoliosis. I too may have been sitting incorrectly for longer periods of time.

Is that why I developed the scoliosis? Is it my fault? Could it have been entirely prevented if I had normal weight and good posture? Maybe I only had 5° curvature and through my misdeeds it worsened up to 20°? Is there anything I did wrong to worsen the curve? I just want to know if it's my fault because I can't forgive myself for getting a scoliosis and I feel guilty and shameful.

The doctors do not know if I worsened it because it's an idiopathic scoliosis. But I want to know from you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely not! Scoliosis is congenital, meaning it is inherited. Don't beat yourself up about it. Lots of us have it, there is no cause for shame. You can't prevent it anymore than you can prevent the color of your eyes. Take care!

• Posted

Absolutely not! Scoliosis is congenital, meaning it is inherited. Don't beat yourself up about it. Lots of us have it, there is no cause for shame. You can't prevent it anymore than you can prevent the color of your eyes. Take care!

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.