Is the Uterus and Ovaries generally "bulky" the day before your menstruation starts?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi! I'm new here.

I'm 18 years old and had been diagnosed with PCOS in 2018 (15yrs old), untreated so far because of my packed school schedule before and then the onset of the global pandemic last year that visiting hospitals was out of question.

Now I recently got my USG done on 15th January and I intend to visit a gynaecologist for treatment. However, things haven't been so smooth.

I got my period just 24hrs later and it was totally uncalled for. In the hindsight, it makes sense because I had a few symptoms for a few days and bad abdomen pain the day before but I didnt think it would start all of a sudden (this cycle was of 25) while usually it is of 31-45 days (before this cycle, the previous one was of 106 days).

Note: I consume iron supplements since my diagnosis two years back and that's what keeps my haemoglobin proper and also makes my menstrual cycle happen. I'm anaemic (iron deficiency) since PCOS diagnosis too.

I got my reports today and I see in addition to the persistent "Bilateral Polycystic Ovaries", the impression includes "Bulky Uterus" and "Bulky Right Ovary" (13.00cc)

Now I'm absolutely confused and also frightened.

Will this USG be considered invalid because it wasn't after periods or before ovulation?

I'm uncertain (and anxious) because, the uterus is supposed to have a thick lining which it sheds when menstruation starts.

So is the 'bulky uterus' might be due to the fact that it was just 24 hours before my menstruation and I may not actually have a bulky uterus OR are such details (of uterus/ovary condition before menstruation) negligible and not taken into account while making that diagnosis and has absolutely nothing to do with the built up uterus lining?

I'd really like to know if someone has had any such similar instances of having done an USG just before their period started.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid or anything. I'm just kinda concerned now and scared of surgeries if things have become so bulky (heavy). Pardon my sad humour.

Thank you for reading. Have a nice day!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.