Is there any reason I should be taking birth control?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I recently found out I had PCOS, so I was prescribed birth control. But I need to think about why I'm taking this drug. I can't think of any reason I should be using it - if there's no reason, then I should stop taking it. I'm not experiencing any symptoms of excess androgen beside amenorrhea. So the only thing the birth control does is give me periods. That is a bad thing. Are there any other long-term effects of hormone imbalance that I should be worried about?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

oop, was just asking about this elsewhere and someone told me buildup of uterine lining may lead to heart problems or endometrial cancer. so that's a first reason i got, can't figure out how to edit my post so i'll post if any more come along!
  • Posted

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a fellow PCOS sufferer. I don't know how this syndrome manifests itself in your case. I've struggled with hirsutism, weight gain/water retention (I also have a Hashimoto's thyroiditis), hairloss... but my hormone levels have always been normal and I've always had regular periods. My right ovary is more affected and my left ovulates.

Having given you a short overview of my state, now I can say that I have always firmly refused to be put on birth control to deal with my PCOS even though every single doctor (from GPs, gynaecologists to endocrinlogists) has suggested it - until I went to a yearly gyneco. check-up few weeks ago.

I deal with it by watching my diet (I went from a classis western omnivore to a vegan, and now eat mostly raw with a lot of fresh homemade juices) and exercising.

I've seen immense improvement, not on all fronts, but on most. I guess it takes time for symptomes like hirsutism to lessen.

The last gynecologist I've seen was the first one to actually tell me that what I'm doing is the only thing that can be done as PCOS is more of a life-style disease. You can cover up the symptomes with a pill sometimes, but it's just temporarely dealing with the problem, not healing it.

The key could be keeping the insuline always in balance which means avoiding eating not just sugar and sweets but anything that will make the insuline spike. Unfortunately, our diets are all about all kinds of sugars (breads, pasta, cakes, rice, potatoes, juices -even 100% no sugar added ones...). 

Taking birth control won't lessen the risk of developing insulin resistence which some of the PCOS sufferes get. 

Birth control offers many liberties and I'm not against it. I just think that it is not a cure for PCOS. Birth control can provoke additional weight gain (which promotes insuline resistance) and put you at risk of cardio-vascular disease (which women with PCOS already have).

I'd go for a second opinion. Talk yo my doctor. Explain my worries. If there's no immediate danger (I don't know what it could be), I'd try a lifestyle change.

Good luck! 

• Posted

Sadly, this is the medics 'first' trial point for PCOS........treating the symptoms, rather than the cause.

Might be a good idea to get a referral to a gynae who specilaises in PCOS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.