Is this bppv?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to chiropractor today and as soon as I layed on my right side the on my back I felt like I was falling, it was awful, I had a panic attack and the chiro said its definitely positional vertigo. Does this sound right?

I've been noticing over the past 2 weeks that when I stand or sit a certain way I feel like I'm falling. But today laying on my back it was horrible. I called my ENT and can't get in til Monday. Now I'm worried I have something else going on. I had bppv 6 yrs ago and it was treated.

Does this sound like bppv?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

That definitely sounds like bppv. If it feels like something else is wrong or not right with your body that doesnt just feel like vertigo I would try and get in to see a doctor. You know your body best.
  • Posted

If the room was spinning then it's bppv. This symptom sounds like something else.

• Posted

What else does it sound like? I have this feeling like I'm sinking when I sit and falling when I stand, bend over and move around. I'm scared to death. I can't get in he ENT office til Monday.

• Posted

Sorry didn't mean to scare you but upon reading some more on it it does  sound like BPPV. 

• Posted

I'm sorry you didn't scare me, I'm good at doing on my own. But thank you for looking it up. I also have MAV and since getting MAV I've been a wreck with anxiety about it and I've heard anxiety comes with it.

• Posted

It could be that you may have had an MAV episode since it is also associated with dizziness and motion intolerance.
    • Posted

One of the worst thing about all this is there is no real test that cam tell you exactly what is and how to fix it, the other is the dizziness changes, for months it was rocking and swaying sensation, now it's leaning to the left, falling feeling, bobbing feeling, walking on a trampoline, feel like lm siting on a ballon like my butt is moving up and down, I can feel it thru my whole body.

What do you have? What are your dizzy feelings? Do they change?

• Posted

I have BPPV. I get the spinning of the room, and nauseous feeling in my stomach. If I'm sitting somewhere and get it I feel like I might fall from the dizziness then the room starts to spin. So I would say that no my symptoms don't really change.

• Posted

Today was like the room was flipping and lately when I'm standing mostly but when sitting it seems like the room is moving.

I finally took a half of Xanax, it helped the anxiety bit still feel the dizziness when moving around. At least now when I lay down I'm not having the flipping like I did today at the chiropractor.

I'm sorry you have this stuff to, are you on meds?

• Posted

Yes, I take Meclizine only when I get it.  It's for BPPV. 

• Posted

Hi patty you feel like you are sitting on a balloon remember me saying that. I done that exercise were you stand by the wall and look forward I could feel my back pulsating feeling against the wall like same feeling when I'm sitting down. I can feel it thru my whole body as well

• Posted

Likewise, I have BPPV and MAV.  My consultant told me not to get the 2 confused.  Now I know the difference.  BPPV for me is when i lie down and everything spins, MAV is when my vision goes wonky whilst i'm upright and I feel spaced out.

• Posted

BPPV can return sometimes.  This is not because the initial treatment did not work.  It simply has to do with how the inner ear is built.

However, I note that you describe a feeling of falling when standing or sitting in a certain way.  Of course, the details of these episodes will best be clarified by your ENT doctor, but this may be orthostatic hypotension (blood pressure changes).

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for responding. I would like to explain my symptoms exactly and see if you can give me any insight. I was diagnosed with MAV and slight M DDS. I've had this condition for 13 months now I did VRT and still do, which seem to help quite a bit I was finally to A point where I felt better 85% of the day or time at three or four days a week of no dizziness. The symptoms that I've felt in the

beginning rocking swings and Swaying especially when sitting, Then things but slowly changing the sensation of dizziness or vertigo I don't know which one is which, I would feel like I was swinging back-and-forth have a leaning sensations a left off balance while I was walking the floors going up and down, In the last 10 days to weeks when I would stand up like to cook dinner I feel like I need to lean against the counter but I had this like falling forward sensation the same when I'm sitting and I move forward and when I bend over like to pick something up just bending forward feels like I'm falling. My anxiety is off the charts this is all I cant concentrate on anything but this and every sensation in my system I just feel like something is worse and it's being missed .If there's any information you can give me I would appreciate it, thank you

• Posted

Please list for me all the diagnostic tests that you have done, including caloric tests, and their results.

• Posted

I had all hearing test, which i passed and hearing was good. I had VNG and did fine until I got to the air in my right ear and the room spinning and falling sensation was so bad they did not finish the test. The ENT said because of the headaches it was MAV, he said really the only rest for that is taking meds and if it helps them it's MAV. I took Amitriotyline for a week and had a bad reaction so he stopped the med. he said I could try nortriptyline but I'm afraid to.

• Posted

VNG: Did you manage to complete air stimulation for the left ear?

When you lean while standing, do you tend to lean to the left side or to the right side?

• Posted

When sitting or standing I seem to lean to the left . No I was not able to complete the VNG. Someone on the board has suggested possible PPPD. And reading it it fits basically perfectly,
    • Posted

Leaning to one side is not typical of vestibular migraine, which tends to affect both ears.  It is possible that your BPPV has returned.   However, a good clinical examination (with the physician looking at your eyes while he or she positions you on the examination couch) will confirm this immediately.

• Posted

Hi Eleftherio

I was diagnosed with Left ear BPPV 3 years ago and MAV.  I get recurrent bouts of BPPV when i lay backwards at bedtime.  Is there anything I can do to prevent recurrent bout, which take about 5 weeks to clear on there own.

Many thanks for your advice.  Anne.

• Posted

With BPPV, you need to see an ENT physician with a special interest in neurotology to do the body positioning exercises and relieve the symptoms.  The symptoms will go away almost immediately with few exceptions. 

If I understood your descriptions so far, the last episodes with therapy occurred 6 years ago.  If we assume that this will happen about once every 6 years, then it is simply a matter of going to ENT and putting the calcium carbonate crystals in the ear back to where they belong.

The next step in therapy is plugging specific tubes in the ear with surgery.  But with one episode every 6 years, I would not recommend this.

Clinical Neurophysiology

• Posted

Thank you Eleftherio, the BPPV is happening every few weeks, and take about 5 weeks to clear.  I had the epley manouvre about 3 years ago when it was first diagnosed but the bouts recur regularly.  I understand the crystals dissolve on their own eventually, but this takes about 5 weeks in my experience.  I don't fancy having any surgery though to plug the specific tubes.  I may just have to live with it if there is nothing else to be done.  Thank you for your advice though.  Best wishes Anne. 

• Posted

May I suggest having your vitamin D levels measured next time you do a blood analysis (it does not have to be tomorrow).  I will not say that this can be a factor, as evidence is limited.  But if it is low, fixing it will be beneficial anyway for other reasons, and it may even help with the BPPV.

• Posted

Thank you, I have low vitamin D from blood test 2 years ago and haven't had it retested recently. Will do.  Many thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.