Is this costochondritis or something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

For 4 months now I have had health anxiety because of my mysterious aches, pains, palpitations, tiredness and loss of appetite. I have a dull pain in my upper back between shoulder blades and behind sternum. It comes and goes and moves around. My sternum and ribs at the front are tendor to touch. I have some acid reflux also. My pulse was very high in the beginning but is now ok, I think. I sometimes feel light headed and this sometimes stops me from going out in case I faint or something. I have seen doctors and bloods, ecg, chest wray and echocardiogram all ok. I lost about a stone and a half during this time but have put a bit of weight back on since having my test results. I have been told it's probably a virus. Can anyone relate to any of these symptoms? Apologies for any typos. Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I also have shortness of breath at times.
  • Posted

Sorry about this but I also get shoulder and neck pain.
    • Posted

Sounds like the symptoms I have. Doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis, my chest would feel like it was on fire or I was having a heart attack and I have the ache on my back too, sometimes iy gets sore all of a sudden and it tightens uo and I can feel my chest tightening up also, I recommend anti inflams, ice packs, and no alcohol or cigarette if you do these as I have found they worsened mine!
    • Posted

Hi Adam,

Thanks for responding, I think I may have costochondritis after reading your post and others here. Fortunately it's not as severe as some I've read. I will be seeing doctor very soon so will mention it to him. I don't smoke or drink so that's a help. I walk my dog and I think that may have triggered it off because he pulls on his lead a lot. Apart from pain killers there doesn't seem much we can do. I will try ice packs though. I'm sorry you are suffering too, it's so miserable but for me the worse thing is the worry and anxiety it causes wondering if it could be something even more serious. I hope your symptoms will pass soon. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.