Is this fibro or something else???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can anyone relate to this? I have been experiencing ‘weird’ symptoms on and off for a long time, since my 4 yr old was born prematurely. After she was born I had a very stressful time which eventually lead to severe health anxiety. I had buzzing, twitching, random pains, painful feet, dizzy spells etc etc. Saw a nuerologist at the time who ruled out anything sinister and then got sent to a rheumatologist who told me that at 33 I couldn’t expect to do everything and to give up any high impact sports etc which I thought was ridiculous! Anyway, no diagnosis. I was put on amitrypaline for the pain and sent for therapy where I was diagnosed with ptsd. Pains eased a bit and stress lessened and I started to feel a bit better but still had problems with aches, feet, tingling etc but could manage these. More recently I have been getting a lot of shoulder pain which seems to affect both my arms, fingers feel tight. I also have developed constant twitching which is mainly in calves but other places too and the twitching seems to have caused cramping in my muscles. I googled symptoms and anxiety went through the roof. Back to neurologist who says there is no way I have something life threatening but will do EMG and MRI of neck. 

I have also been getting a tight chest, constant sore throat, weird sensations like a bucket of hot water is being thrown over my legs. Burning in biceps, lost goes on!

My question is, could this be fibromyalgia?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had severe twitching/spasms in my hands and legs early on and still get them in high stress incidents. I am not sure why so many doctors seem to be treating pain with amitriptyline, if you look it up its used for painful disorders but not just pain. I use it as a sleep aid only, its worthless for anything else because it makes you so sleepy! Shoulders are a fibro trigger point but in the entire 15=+ years of my fibro its only acted up 2-3 times max, that doesnt mean you wouldnt I just do not have that as a common pain spot. Are you sure the shoulder pain isnt stress strian on your muscles? I have had to have massage therapy twice for this, I get stressful or hunched from the pain and I get bad in the shoulders. For that my best friend is a theracane, look it up, its magical =D. Your other pain symptoms sound spot on for fibro. 

Dizzy spells, not so sure. Not something I have had myself. Have they done psych tests to determine if they think you might have a conversion disorder? I went through testing for that early on especially since the lack of diagnosis brought on depression. Some of your weird symptoms I dont think sound right but I have hypersensitive skin, which could be what you are experiencing but you are describing it different than I would. One thing I can say for sure. Get a second Rhumatologist. I had to do this in the beginning as the 1st was mad he had to test me because he was not seeing patients and the office screwed up my appt and I insisted on being seen. He did the this ( http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20345635,00.html#where-does-it-hurt--1 ) test by only running his hands up and down my body and saying I was fine, in other words he didnt actually do the test. The next doctor I saw had been dealing with Fibro and Guillian Barre for 20 years(this was in the early 2000s). I tested 14-16 out of the 18 points, you only need 11 for a diagnosis. Not all doctors are good Im afraid.

• Posted

Hi Lossa:  First of all, I am so sorry that you are going through so many things.  I know how frustrating that can be.  What I would like to know is if any of your doctor's ran any blood tests on you?  Also, do have have any fatigue and/or body pain?  I was diagnosed with Fibro about 11 years ago.  I know for me, I had extreme fatigue and pain over my entire body.  I did experience some of the symptoms you described as well.  My fingers felt tight all the time, which I know now was from inflammation.  I had tingling in my hands and had carpal tunnel surgery on both of them.  I had depression and anxiety also.  The problem is that so many auto-immune diseases have the same symptoms.  Just don't ever give up trying to figure it out.  My 17 year old daughter has been going through similar symptoms and after a year was finally diagnosed with Lupus.  Yes, Lupus sucks, but at least now we know what it is.  Jackie Cirillo

• Posted

Hi Jackie. Thanks for your response. Dr has recently and previously run blood tests and everything has come back normal including inflammation markers.  I have pains in my back and spine on and off, random leg pains and arm pains. Recently I have been getting eye migraines but only 3 in 2017. Aching feet after walking bothers me oh and off. I wonder whether this is fibro or something else or whether it is all just a reaction to stress and anxiety! So sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope she is getting the treatment she needs.
    • Posted

But not extreme tiredness, just some tiredness and aching.
  • Posted

I have been asking myself this same thing. When I talk to people who have fibro they talk a lot about terrible debilitating pain. I dont have that. But I have tons of strange symptoms like you. For me it started with an injury in my ab muscle. Lead to chest pain, back pain, intense pins and needles, electric shock type pains and then numbness, in my legs, muscle twitches, stiffening of my joints (especially in my fingers) and the most annoying is lately this building pressure in my face/ears and numbness in my face. My anxiety which was under control is horrendous now.  Ive been wondering if this is on the spectrum of fibro or if it could be lyme or auto immune. But then part of me thinks it could be all anxiety. Its been really adding to the stress not knowing what is wrong. 

Have you thought about an endocrinologist to comprehensively test your thyroid? Or finding someone who knows about lyme? Its my inderstanding that those two things can be as hard to diagnose as fibro...  I hope you find some answers! Also, keep working out. Not working was actually making all of this worse for me..

• Posted

grr my comment is still waiting to be approved above but good point on the thyroid, I also have thyroid issues. When I was diagnosed I HOPED it was the answer but no I still had fibro lol. 
    • Posted

Hi Carrie. Sounds really similar to me! So frustrating isn’t it, I keep getting fobbed off by drs. My husband thinks I’ve lost it as he tells me to stop focusing on it, but you can’t understand unless it’s happening to you. I’m going to wait for the neurologist tests and take it from there but good idea regarding thyroid and Lyme.

I also suffer from ibs and poor sleep.

The twitching and cramping plus all over nerve pain bothers me the most though. Feels horrid.

My anxiety is also horrendous.

Have you had any answers at all?

• Posted

did you get to the bottom of what it was? i am going through the same thing. on and off for a tear and a half. spoken to 3 neurologist, seen 2. been to rhumetologist. had MRI and bloods. it can go away for a while then flare up for days again. no one has ever mentioned fibro but the more i look into the symptoms i think it might be accurate as nothing else has been mentioned or found

• Posted

Usually, I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up.

Simplelife is UAE's No. 1 Local Search engine that provides local search related services to users across UAE through multiple platforms such as website, mobile website, Apps (Android, iOS). simplife.ae has become the number one platform for users to buy, sell, or find anything in their community. A community where underused goods are redistributed to fill a new need, and become wanted again, where non- product assets such as space, skills and money are exchanged and traded in new ways that don’t always require centralized institutions or ‘middlemen’. Simplelife services to provide local searches for various services over the phone and online website. Simplelife shares fast, free, reliable, and comprehensive information and service activities between its users and help connect buyers to sellers instantly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.