Is this possible?

Posted , 6 users are following.

On 7/1 my cholesterol level was 7 as I had had problems with taking Statins. I started taking plant sterols but then I had a heart attack at the end of March. 

I was put straight on Atoravastin and in about 6 weeks my level has dropped to 3.9. I cannot believe this is correct but hope it is.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

sounds like they used the cheapest version first , 

i dont no much about statins except there handed out like sweets 

and cause a lot of problems for a lot of people 

and that they also increase the risk of diabetis 

its recommended by some health advisers to take q10 with statins .

i dont know what Atoravastin is so cant comment .but i am glad its worked for you and hope it keeps on working . shame it took a heart attack to get them .  

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your heart attack, it must be terrifying. Please, please do your research on statins and the wisdom of taking them at all. No-one can decide for you, but don't trust your GP or any hospital to give you the best advice - read up everything you can about the pros and cons and make your decision. The reason I say this is that, unless you have a family history of heart disease, there's a lot of (unbiased) research to show that taking statins does not benefit women in the slightest, but there are lots and lots of horrendous side effects you might suffer. If you follow data published FOR taking statins, behind that there is Big Pharma, who ditch tests that show poor results and test again and again until they get the results they want from a 'tailored' test group. Am I cynical? You betcha. Who trains doctors? Big Pharma money is behind the universities' grants, and in return they have a say in what's taught. Don't believe me, do your own research, read everything then decide what you think is best. Good luck
    • Posted

I am well aware of the problem with statins which is why I stopped them earlier. Thank you for your advice,
  • Posted

Yes very much so. My cholersterolwas 15.9!!! Highest my gp had ever seen and triglycerides 28.5, very very high - should be about 1.9 and I am not a drinker. They were both just under 5 last check with the help of fenofibrate and statins. I have recently, against docs advice stopped statins though due to getting extremely painful arms muscle aches. Guess I will see the results of stopping next blood test!

so sorry about your heart attack! Hope you are recovering well xx

• Posted

Thank you it seems it is possible.
  • Posted

Oh dear Jeanni, I'm so sorry to hear you suffered a heart attack.  That must have been a horrid experience and I do hope you are well now and haven't had too much damage.

My cholesterol is 7.1 and I was asked by my GP what I thought about statins.  I replied that with my past history with an autoimmune illness affecting my muscles, plus my adverse reaction to so many BP pills, I was wary about taking them.  It is scary though knowing that having high cholesterol and high blood pressure carries such a risk of heart attack and stroke

A GP gave my hubby a prescription for statins a couple of weeks ago - his level is 4.8.  Now what's that all about?  The prescription is filed in the drawer.

I've tried Benecol and Flora-Practive drinks but they seem to have an adverse effect on my bowel.  So I'm just crossing my fingers and praying.

I'm so flad the Atorvastatin is proving successful for you after the originally prescribed statins caused problems.  Good luck for the future.

• Posted

Thank you all for advice.

i was prescribed statins when I was 60 without any tests, simply because of my age. I suffered many side effects including dreadful itching and deep pain in my muscles. So I stopped them but they are part of the normal meds after a heart attack. I am tolerating them quite well at the moment so not a problem but I will stop them when I stop the anti coagulants after 3 months.

my heart attack was very minor, no narrowing found in my arteries after an angiogram and it was assumed that I had had a clot which dispersed. I feel fine at the moment although I also suffer with COPD which is difficult.

my main reason for posting was that I did not believe the reading but  sandy 67 seems to think it is so there is my answer. 

Many thanks to all those who replied.

JJ

• Posted

Hi 

I was put on Atorvastatin last Oct following a heart attack. My levels came down from 7.5 + to 3.5 within 2 months. Since then my joints have suffered terrible and have had to stop taking it. Please see discussion group re Statins/ Atorvastatin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.