Is this Prednisone withdrawal?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was on Pred for 2.5 years with the highest dose being 40mg Unfortunately I was left on 20mg during lockdown and was not permitted to taper further because they were unable to monitor my condition. It took from October 2020 to May 2022 to eventually get off completely.

I initially experienced the bad aches and pains as expected.

I have also had some strange symptoms which no one seems to be able to explain despite many blood tests. The impact is that I rarely leave the house and have not had a 'good' day when I have almost felt normal since September. I feel unwell every single day and unable to predict how bad it will be from day to day. It is causing me to become very depressed as I was a very active person before.

Has anyone experienced the following:-

Vivid uncomfortable dreams, feels like a 'hangover' on waking, slight nausea/metallic taste which worsens if eat or drink during day, but better in evening. Feeling of being lightheaded, particulary if standing still after walking. Dizzy if turn head whilst walking. 'Empty/gnawing feeling in stomach which is worse immediately before/and about an hour after eating. Eating seems to make me feel shaky and generally unwell it terms of feeling like I have a virus and need to lie down, especially in the afternoon.

General feeling of weakness (probably worsened by not being able to exercise).

Sorry for the long post but I am desperate to find the cause of my symptoms as neither my consultant or GP seem to have any clues. I am sure they are getting fed up with me keep saying I am no better with the latest suggestion to 'practice mindfulness'.

Have had repeated blood tests all normal including thyroid, parathyroid. Had cortisol checked last July which was within normal range, but it was on a day I felt okish.

Thanks for reading xxx

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.