Is this the answer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi my name is Sam. i have suffered with pain for over 20 years at least across my face, mainly the left side. the pain is in to what feels like the top of my cheek, it feels like really inflamed sinuses and facial pain. i have been through lots of appointments, treatment, nasal sprays and nurofen after nurofen bottle. i can only say the pain is there most of the time, it does appear to ease off much, it can happen with changes in air pressure and if i get a sinus infection, laryngitis, labyrinthitis or vertigo. i get ear ache, dizziness, spinning, nausea, my teeth hurt and no respite. tonight again i have had what appears to be a migraine type headache, with pain at the back of my head and flashing in front of my eyes a bit. i had this 2 days back then got laryngitis... i have dissolved in to tears. i have seen e.n.t twice, dentists, doctors and to no avail at all. what on earth is this and am i going out of my mind? does this sound like what any of you all experience and how do i stop apart from anti-convulsant drugs. i am through, i have hit rock bottom with this. the constant doctors appointments, pain, dizziness etc has bought me finally to my knees. can someone please tell me i am not going nuts? can i finally if anyone has had any injections in to their face to break up this awful nerve? finally is this familial? my mum suffered with sinus problems for years. who do i see about this? is a doctor right, or a dentist or an optician like what was suggested to me. i am through, this is unfair.....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam. Hope you got some relief since you posted this. I have facial - trigeminal neuralgia on the left side of my head. I get Botox injections every 3 months this has been a game changer. I started getting the Botox injections about 4 years ago. I'm still in pain all the time, I still get severe attacks . Also the quick change in temperature brings on severe major attack. it may not sound like it but the Botox really does help. The needles are very thin. sometimes they're brutal the needles and sometimes they don't bother me too bad. it really just depends on how sensitive I am at the time in my appointment. it's worth it though. luckily my insurance covers it. You can also try putting ice on your face when you have in a severe severe attack. just put it on and off for a little while. I hope you have a neurologist If not that's what you need to do. Anyway I hope you are feeling better. Good luck keep me posted. take care.

• Posted

hooray, someone who finally understands. i would just like anything to break the cycle of pain. i have asked for something like botox injections and was told there was nothing they could do. i am fighting to have anything done, a nasal spray or nurofen doesn't stop the pain, also the nurofen causes stomach pain in the end. can i show this to my doctor if you don't mind? i was told it was sinus problems and 1 doctor said it was facial neuralgia. i can't seem to catch a break.... i feel like complaining about my hospital who were bog useless.... thanks so much you've made more sense than any expert.... can i ask if you are ever free of the pain???

• Posted

I sorry I'm just getting back to you. unfortunately I still have pain all the time it's not as bad. I still have severe level 10 beyond attacks today was one of them I was in bed until 4:00. noise is a big factor in addition to anything as you know. I can say though the Botox has significantly reduced my pain a great deal. I get a good '80 shots around my scalp face eyes back of my ear, neck. mine was due to accident with my ear. I hope this helps Sorry I tried checking in a few times and I had trouble with my hint password lol and I got locked out. I hope you're feeling better. I'll keep checking in . take care. keep me posted.

• Posted

hi marypat, can i ask a question because being a fellow sufferer you are the only one who understands.... did you have to try amitriptyline or carbamazepine before you were offered botox? after 20+ years suffering I just want the pain to stop. can i ask if you had to pay for your treatment, if so are you in England and where did you go?? sorry about all the questions after so many years suffering o just would like a solution..... thanks! 😁😁😁

• Posted

Hi unfortunately I can't take the triptyline's as they make my arms and legs shake but I was offered them and did give them a shot. I am in the United States but my insurance does cover the Botox luckily. Maybe because of my long history I've been in pain management for almost 25 years. My insurance is about to change so I'm a little nervous. I did send you private messages I don't know if you received it as I take a muscle relaxer which does help ease the pain also I think it just relaxes the muscles with a blood vessels and nerves don't twist so much squeeze if you will. plus topsmax. I hope this helps. any more questions no problem take care.

• Posted

hi marypat, oh that's not good! i am in England but they've said try amitriptyline 1st which doesn't agree with me either and I would entertain carbamazapine, i don't know how to get your private message....

• Posted

hi Sam, im not diagnosing you but i have facial pain about 10 years and was diagnosed with TN unfortunately i have been everywhere with it as it is one of the most difficult conditions to live with. Finally I came across acupuncture and it basically saved me.

• Posted

BTW i can get pain free at times for up to a year. unfortunately stress is a big factor.

• Posted

Hi Skip,

can you tell me more about your acupuncture experience? how long did it take before you started to feel progress in the pain, and are you taking any medication at the moment?

• Posted

Hi Skip,

can you tell me more about your acupuncture experience? how long did it take before you started to feel progress in the pain, and are you taking any medication at the moment?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.