Ischemic Changes to white matter in the Brain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed as having moderate Ischemic changes to the white matter in my brain. I am 65 years old and had the MRI done after suffering what they call a Trans Global Amnesia attack.

is this common? They don't seem to give you much information apart from keep the blood pressure down. I am very active, eat extremely healthy, I  am concerned that I might get dementia. I find it really intolerable to take BP mess as well. Does anyone have some advice please.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mo,

I wish I knew what to tell you but this is unfamiliar to me. I just wanted to wish you well anyway.

• Posted

I understand that the prognosis of a TGA is pretty good and you should be able to carry on life as before. It must have been pretty frightening though.
    • Posted

Thanks. I was told the TGA would be OK, but having the MRI with the Ischemic changes has made me wonder. I am sure it is probably part of the ageing process (I hope)
    • Posted

I think the problem is as soon as you have some medical problem, they then find all sorts of other things which you would not have known about or worried about if you had not had the initial problem.
    • Posted

indeed! I had a scan on my gall bladder. It was OK but they found an aortic unureysm and a lot of harmless cysts on my liver. Later scans on my anureysm found cysts om my kidneys.

I later tried to get on a new hypertension treatment and their examination found that I had aortic stenosis and needed my aortic valve replaced.

Seek and ye shall find.

• Posted

Oh my gosh, what the eye does not see! 
    • Posted

I did also have a head CT scan and am glad to report that my brains are still intact. That was evidently a surprise to some:-)

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Mo it must be worrying for you .I have been told I might have ischemia bowel like you I don't know what this means I have to have a C T scan done good luck to you Mo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.