Isotretinoin (Roacccutane) side affects, are these normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 2.5 weeks into my isotretinoin course (20mg daily), and have developed a weird rash on my hand. There are some other small patches on upper arms and shoulders too. Is this normal? What should I do to treat this? I have been using a small amount of 1% hydrocortisone on the patches and seems to be helping slightly. Is this safe and/or a good treatment? Cheersimage

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Your body is telling you that you are allergic to this medication. You need to contact your dermatologist and let them know what is happening

• Edited

some years ago i was under this medication. i was under it for about 6 months, during that time i observed a little progress, my face was getting clearer. i also experienced some side effects but they were not like yours, only irritation on the face and lips. the doctor asked me to avoid sunlight, you should use sunscreen every time you go out.

i did not know, even until now i don't really know what are the other grave side effects of this medicine but the fact that "every time i was prescribed this medicine the doctor always asked to to sign a kind of paper, something like to declare that you freely desire to use this medicine, so if anything would happen the doctor would not be liable." made me worry. i stop it after 6 months(because it was very expensive and i was not satisfied), now i still get acne, anxiety, depression...

so if you are taking this medicine you have to have follow-ups with your doctor as often as necessary.

• Posted

The most common side effects of Accutane are:

dry skin,

itching,

rash,

dry nose,

nosebleeds,

cracks in the corners of the mouth,

dry mouth,

dry lips

• Posted

Hello! I don't know if you still need help but I actually had a really similar reaction to yours. For me, I already had a few patches like that on my shoulder, and when my doctor prescribed accutane she said I would get some eczema, and because I already had some, she prescribed a steroid cream. and it was so bad at first! I had patches like this that developed to my whole hands and then even my forearms... It never even stopped, I'm still taking accutane and I still have to use my steroid cream, but it got so much better after a few months. I'd say 3-4 months after, I only had it on my hands a few days at a time. I would say talk to your doctor and they can prescribe a better cream and it will get better.

• Posted

I began with dry skin but that became controlled by daily moisturising. For me now the main issues are dry lips but more recently the inside of my nose has become incredibly dry to the point it feels sore to the touch. I'm very happy with the results this medication has given me but it definitely does come with its side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.