Issues in my head causing pressure and balance problems.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello, sorry if this isnt the best place to post but closest I could find. I am writing this because of some issues I have been having in my head these past few months.

I am a 40's Male, aside from chronic reflux issues over the last 5 years, otherwise health. Normal BP, good RHR along with other basic health metrics. Not overweight.

At the start of my reflux journey, I was put on PPI medications, specifically 20mg Pantoprazole daily. I was on and off of it for about 4 years total. Reason I say on and off is because after being on it for longer than 4-6 months I would start to get issues. These issues were dizziness, off-balance, light-headedness, tinnitus, ear and head pressure, headaches, and shortness of breath.

When those would start I would stop the meds and they would eventually go away. But then my reflux would come back after a few weeks or months with using OTC meds and I would have to go back on the PPI. After years of doing this I finally had to stop the PPI permanently because the side effects would come on strong almost right away.

The last year I have been treating myself with OTC famotidine (Pepcid). It was going alright but these last few months the issues with balance, tinnitus, and unbearable head and ear pressure have returned. Literally feels like you were clobbered in the head. The balance feels like I am on unsteady ground, rocking or swaying like on a river. Not vertigo where the room feels like its spinning.

I've talked to my doctor but he just says I have anxiety and wants me to go on SSRI, despite not having any history of mental health issues in my 40 some years of living. I dont just want to take another med based on hunches.

The catch-22 to this is its very hard for me to get off the acid meds. If I do, I start to get acid irritation which triggers esophageal spams, tachycardia, anxiety and panic, and dizziness, among other discomfort in my chest and throat. Basically, acid irritation triggers the fight/flight response in my body when its not being treated.

I have also noticed this last year that I clench my jaw while sleeping to the point its sore in the morning. I found that reflux can trigger bruxism which can cause TMJ/TMD. I am trying to treat this by using a dental guard but after a couple weeks, still not much improvement.

I dont know what the issues in my head are from. Is it reflux, reflux meds, or something? When I am in simple environments I can manage, but it limits me from going out to places because of how disorienting it can feel in public places.

One thing I have noticed by accident, recently, is that anti-inflammatory type supplements to seem to provide some relief. I have used things like Curcumin and Tart Cherry extract and I can feel the pressure fade but once it wears off, the pressure comes back like someone just nailed you in the head with a bat.

Is there anyone out there with similar experiences? What have you done to recover from this?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.