It was found I have antibodies in my blood???

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am booked to have my right TKR on 6th November I had my left one 26th February. 

Blood tests on my first one came back that I have antibodies in my blood? I asked the consultant at the time, because I had a blood transfusion in 1979 he said it could be to do with that.

blood taken at my pre admission day have shown that these have increased, I need another test two days before due date, this will ascertain if they do the op or not?  Read bits on Internet which can scare you,( they did) has anyone else had this if so what does it mean???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could give you some answers. I can only suggest asking the doctor and emphasize strongly your concerns!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Thanks Debz I have spoken to her , but she has not got the readings, so can not help til she has them. I just have to wait til I see consultant. X
  • Posted

I can ony tell you what happened to me and hope this helps.

I had TKR 3 years ago.

Everything was fine but 3 days after op they decided that I needed a blood transfusion. No idea why. Maybe my blood pressure readings.

I was fine after transfusion but felt OK beforehand anyway.

Never had a proper explanation as to why I needed transfusion.

They just said "If we don't do this today we might not be able to do it."

It wasn't that I did not think they were right or did not trust them, simply that they did not really explain things to me.

Hope you manage to get your TKR

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Sarah, I had a transfusion after my tkr also. I was told it was due to anemia.
    • Posted

I have never been told I was or am anemic

Sarah

• Posted

Antibodies to what? would be my question .... we all have antibodies in our blood to things like childhood deseases which we have become immune to ... (measles, chickenpox ...etc ). I had Scarlet Fever as a child and now I always have to have antibiotics before dental work ... ask some additional questions smile  Good Luck with your surgery ...
    • Posted

Hi Donna, yes I will I'm seeing nurse Wednesday for more blood test last op they said it was most likely through the transfusion I had in 1979. 

Doctor says to wait to find out more. As long as op still goes ahead on Friday I will worry about it after. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.