Itching at a different spot after the rash is healed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am 29 and I have been diagnozed with zoster virus 4 weeks ago. I had a small rash on my lower back on the right side. It was itching and burning from time to time but the pain was not unbearable. I saw a dematologist few days later, and I was put on antivirus medication Acyclovir 800mg 5x, which I unfortunately started after one week of the rash appearing. Two more weeks and the rash started to heal and its now almost gone.

The problem: after 4 weeks of the intitial symptoms, I now have a terrible itching feeling in all of my body (especially in the face and head) far from the rash area used to be. Could it be a shingles recurrence happening so soon? Should I expect a rash appearing on my face? Should I rush back into Acyclovir to prevent this from happening?

The terrible itching feeling in the same area appeared suddenly without introduction after the rash on my lower back healed. I can also feel it a little bit in my arms and my feet. Its been going on for 3 days now, but no sign of new rash anywhere yet.

Please advise me what to do. I'm confused.

Walter

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

sad to report , yes.

Herpes Zoster Virus is Shingles which presents in a person who previously had chicken pox.

Shingles follows a nerve root. You have right and left nerve roots coming from the spinal cord just below each vertebrae.

The current shingles vaccination is not always successful, but it should be considerex.

Glaxo Smith Klein submitted Shingrex to the USA FDA in October. Approval has not been received. That said the efficacy of Shingrex is reported to be quite strong.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,

Isnt Shingles tingling/itching supposed to happen in the same spot (or at least the surrounding area) where the shingles rash happened?

The rash was on my lower back and it has healed. Now my face is itching (right and left side, also shoulders and legs). Isnt it a bit strange?

• Posted

Shingles is strange...the virus lives in the spinal cord roots. So it can activate at any nerve root. Nerve roots innervate the intire body...rsch nerve root innervates a very specific area of the body.
  • Posted

Hi Walter,

Everything you described is exactly like me. I'm 32 and I was diagnosed with Shingles 3 weeks ago. The pain was pretty touch at times throughout the duration but nothing that wasn't managable. I hardly had any itching at all when I had the rash also. But now that rash has pretty much cleared up, i've ogt this insane itch all over my body - from head to toe. I'm so desperate for answers. It's completely debilitating and I can't focus on anythign at all. Have you found any releif yet? Or did you find anything that has helped? I'd love to know how things are pregressing you, and i'd appreciate any information you can give me!

Thank you,

Michael 

• Posted

Hi Michael,

The itching gradually decreased. The doctors assured me that it has nothing to do with the virus because it can not affect the whole body. They have two theories: the itching being a delayed side effect of acyclovir high dose, or being a result of dry skin sensation (also related to acyclovir). Anyway, I was advised to wait for two months and if the sensation doesn't go away, I pay the doctor another visit.

Please let me know how things turn up with you.

All the best!

Walter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.