Itching forum whole body itchiness driving me into depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

for a couple of years now I suffered from itching on the whole of my body, the only thing''@   that helps is a cream called EUREX, but a few weeks ago I damaged my back muscles and I have been in great pain, it is easing but I still cannot walk far without a lot of pain and it has caused me a lot of anxiety and depressing by being stuck in the house all day and now the itching is worse than ever, I can't sleep, it really does distress me and I was wondering if it's possible if the itching problem is a lot to do with the stress and anxiety I have, strangely it flares up after I have a shower, I do get a lot of pain while I'm showering and scared of slipping, my wife has to stand behind me just in case, it is getting me down and my poor wife, has anyone had a similar experience or did you find a solution to the itching? I really would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks, James

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

James have you seen a doctor or dermatologist for this? If so,what medication were you given?
  • Posted

Sorry you're dealing with this. Just a few ideas, I don't know where you live but in winter with dry air my skin gets a little bit itchy. Consider not showering everyday because the soap from the shower can dry out your skin. I find that even though I don't feel like I'm thirsty, you should be drinking plenty of water and stay hydrated too. That usually helps skin

• Posted

That is a good point, so many ailments can be relieved by just drinking more water, dont think any of us drink enough.

Sue 

• Posted

Hi OHNOYOUDONY, I live in County Durham in the North East and we do get a lot of winds and have just recently started using  a body cream, I now only once a week using a special non soap called SANEX which does help, see my reply to Susan,   and the same for you MARINA. Thank you both for your replies. James
  • Posted

James i have had this awful itching after every shower for years now, a sort of a itchy stinging sensation, for this reason now i only shower once a week and have wash downs in between. Dr told me if i should get the itching when im not showering then i must let him know, Well now i have started to get the itching other times in the day now. I do think stress can bring on certain things or make them worse. Ive tried water cooler, using just water and no shower gel of any kind at all but still it happens. Ive seen on google a lot of people are experiencing this and its really driving some to utter despair.  I keep on asking hoping someone may be able to come up with a solution. Thinking with me may be liver problems, fatty liver as im feeling nausea as well. Scan did show fatty liver. Guess we will both have to go to our gps a.  
    • Posted

Hi Susan, you have my sympathy, my doctor prescribed a cream called EURAX and it does work quite well I use it two or three times a week and it really does help, another thing I did was to change the washing powder, my wife now uses Fairy which has no chemicals in it which you can be allergic to, my doctor also told me to use a non soap for washing body and hair, it's called SANEX and that's really helps also. I shower just once a week and like you a wash down at other times, regarding stress and anxiety I'm on a relaxant which does help me and also help me sleep a lot easier, so far this week I'm still itching but mainly on my back and stomach and it's only mild and does not last . Susan, I hope some of the ideas help you because I know the misery it causes, DO try the EURAX it definitely helped me after been on it for just this week, let me know how you get on please, I'll be thinking of you, James

• Posted

Thank you James. i will def try your suggestions hear. 

Sue 

• Posted

Hi Susan, has your itching improved any way trying my suggestions, I do hope so, please let me know. James.
  • Posted

Hi James!

i dont know if this will help but i had an undiagnosed case of itching that lasted a year i was sure that it was mites b/c permethrin cream worked but it affected no one in my family I went on a medication called perphenizine and it worked You have to go to a psych doc for it idk if you have had the itching go away and then come back after using permethrin but it worked in my case i hope this gives you another option to look at please let me know if this works i hope it does Many good wishes and prayers sincerely, jamie

• Posted

I have suffered from itchy skin all over for three years and it was driving me mad. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin - a big mistake. I put on two stone, suffered from odeoma, anxiety, and various other symptoms, and became like a zombie and my brain seemed to shut down. After moving my doctor advised me to come off them and I ended up with horrendous withdrawal, ending up in A and E. I have now tapered off very slowly and boy has it made a difference, so whatever you do, dont take that drug. Previously the only relief I had was to use ice packs on my skin, but have now discovered Dermacool with menthol at 5% which has been an absolute godsend and halts the itching within minutes. I apply it three times a day and have also started on Paroxetine antedepressantss which i am hoping will help. i hope this helps you, but remember you are not alone in suffering this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.