IVF - should I tell my new job I am about to start treatment?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Basically I am starting IVF this cycle, I'm actually on day 1 today. In 21 days time I will start injections and in two months time I will need to have scans every other day for a week then a general anaesthetic for egg collection then another appointment for egg transfer.

I have an interview in a couple of days time for a job I really want. I am in a good position to get the job - they know me well there, and I have the required experience etc. The people I know that work there have all put a good word in for me as well.

The thing is, if I DO get the job I'm worried about what it will look like when one month after I start working there I have to take loads of days off to have IVF scans to get pregnant. Won't it look a bit weird if I tell them in the interview about how I really want to work there but then one month later I'm like 'SURPRISE - I'm preggers!! Bring on the maternity leave!'

What does everyone else think?

I don't see it as an option to not apply for the new job as the IVF might not work. I don't want to put all the other things in my life on hold while I wait to become pregnant because if I did that I would never do anything!

Many thanks 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chudders

I am in the same situation as you - I start the first injections on the 21st April, I have the offer of a job which I would start in 3 months (early July). Its a better paid, highly regarded job and would be great for my career. 

Its a job which has a high degree of stress. I would know when i start whether our first round of IVF has worked.

I'm really interested to know what you decided.

I guess my question is should i take the job or stay in my good but easy job??

Thanks!

• Posted

I am in the same position now :-/ I got an offer for a job I really want, and I should start in January. The same month I would have to take days off for egg retrieval and embryo transfer. What did you do at the end and how did it go?
  • Posted

Hi, I think it better to say. but not all. Smth like if i need a couple of days for smth that is really important /has been planned in advance and really important, will it be possible? Friends of mine went to another country to undertake ivf treatment, so they needed some days off. They informed the boss in advance, who asked them to finish projects on time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.