Just been told yesterday I have a breast cancer.....my world is crashing and I need some advice plea

Posted , 7 users are following.

Yesterday I went for 'further tests' as I was re-called after my routine mamogramme. Had the lot, more mamogramme, needle test and biopsy and then told that they are sure it's a cancer that I will have surgery (lumpectomy) then radiotherapy.

I am to be honest devastated and my determination and strength has deserted me right now.

I also have to stop the HRT i've been taking for many years and I know that will add the horrific 'flushes' into this current mix.

I've been reading so many posts here and admire all you ladies for being so brave. I just don't feel brave at all and have no idea what my future is going to be. A little reassurance would go a long way if there's anyone out there!!

Stay well, all of you.

Blue :-(

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I cannot imagine how you are feeling right now,it must have been a tremendous shock for you and is every woman's worst nightmare. Please be strong and try to stay positive and throw everything you can at this. I wish you lots of love and blessings and am here if you ever need support. I hope that you have loving people around you to help you through this terrible time. Xxxx
    • Posted

Thanku so much for your comments. I'm a gemini and we are born survivors so it better come true for me now! My 23yr old grandaughter is having my great-grandaughter in the Spring and thats a positive thing for me to remember....I need to be as strong as is possible and i will be....i'm just so scared of all thats to come right now. Thanks again, Blue :-( x
  • Posted

Hi. I was recalled after my first routine mammogram and like you underwent all the follow up tests and was then given the devastating news that it was cancer. It felt like the bottom had fallen out of my world but one year on I have had a lumpectomy, 3 weeks of radiotherapy and I am now on Tamoxifen. I went back to work in January, I feel healthy and in so many ways life has gone back to normal. 

Mentally though it it has been a roller coaster!!! The anger, fear and tears you will be experiencing are quite normal! I found that it was better not to bottle it up and I had a good cry if I felt like it. I was lucky in that a close friend had gone through a similar experience a couple of years earlier so I found it a great help to talk to her as she was able to offer the sort of advice you cannot read about in all the endless leaflets you will be given. I also built up a good relationship with my breast nurse who was able to offer lots of advice.....hopefully you will find someone you can talk to and that will help.

Please try to stay positive and try to talk things through with friends, family or health professionals. I tried to keep as busy as I could as I was determined that having cancer would not take over my life. 

Good luck and best wishes for the future.x

• Posted

Thank you for the words of support.

I have kept to myself today trying to not cry every time i think of this horrible thing. I will know when i'm having the lumpectomy probably on monday then thats the next step to deal with. I really appreciate the support of women who know. I live alone but have a few close friends and a son and daughter locally who are all shocked but will do what they can. Things is tho that they don't understand this horrible fear, fear of all thats to come...thank you and stay well. Blue :-( x

• Posted

Be strong! You are right my mum is also a Gemini and she is such a strong lady. I believe a strong positive mind can help people through the most adverse situations. Please keep us all posted on your progress so that we can support you. ☺
    • Posted

Thank you again for your encouraging comment and yes, I will let you know how it's all going. The sun is shining this morning here and I feel my determination to be positive IS coming.....then the tears fall again and I feel so helpless. Perhaps once I get the surgery over with will be when I can really feel that things WILL be ok. Have a good day and stay well!

Blue :-(

• Posted

Hoping that this message finds you well.  I came across this site by accident but hope that I can offer some words of encouragement. 

I've been dealing with breast cancer since September of last year.  Like you, I was stunned by the news.  On the other hand, I had just started a new job a week earlier and was determined to keep it.  They confirmed I will have a job when I'm cleared to go back to work!

Yes, being positive is the key, along with the treatment.  I live in Quebec, Canada.  The medical system is good here.  As far as support goes, family has been there for me.  But again, being positive and not letting this thing take over your emotions and control you is what helped me up to this point.  The fact that you are a strong person to start with is great!

Remember you have so much to look forward to, specifically with a grandchild on the way!  This is a bump in the road, albeit difficult, but trust that you will get through it with the love and support of the people around you.  Feel free to reach out, would love to hear how you are doing!

Best, S

• Posted

hi Sylvia

​Thank yo for taking the time to message me.

I had my surgery last Monday and yesterday returned to find out the results. I'm glad to report that my lymphnodes are CLEAR which is the best news but I unfortunately have to have a second surgery a week on Monday as the margin betweeen the cancer lump and the healthy tissue was a bit too small so to be extra cautious, i'm having to go through the breast surgery again so am upset about that.

​On the whole though I realise this is good news and I WILL beat this. My radiotherpy treatment will now be put back a couple of weeks which is also a bit of a disappointment as I'd hoped to perhaps be through that by xmas. But yes, i have a GREAT-grandaughter coming in March and saw a scan of her the other day and am very excited and determined that there is more to me than my wonky boob!!!

I hope you are getting there too and feel better soon. Family & friends will see us through!!

​take care and thanku again,

Blue :-)

• Posted

So happy for you that the lymph nodes are negative!!  Wonderful news! 

Yes, I must say that from diagnosis to treatment, (Tx) is not always smooth sailing.  I had a few recalls for procedures that should have been done in one shot.  Coming towards the end now, I can see things a bit differently though.  When you consider how many people are diagnosed with breast cancer alone, its not surprising that oversights occur. 

Since we aren't at our best through this journey though, we can't be expected to be patient all the time! 

The second operation will soon enough be a distant memory but thankfully they are taking that precaution now.  Rest up and take it easy throughout the radiation Tx.  Its effects are cummulative, (i.e.,fatigue).

best, S

• Posted

hi,

​feels a bit like one step forward on this journey then 2 back at the moment but off course I want them to be as sure as possibl that they have 'got it' so to speak.

I have only the greatest respect for how I've been seen and treated all within a few weeks. Can't fault them at all.

​I was told i'd get 3 weeks of radiotherapy mon-fri and i do believe the side effect of the treatment is fatigue. Will this hit me the first week or further on and have you any advice on how to 'prevent' or just deal with that? I hope to drive myself to my daily appointments, is this advisable?

thank you

• Posted

Your story is exactly the same as mine except I only had to have surgery once. I have just finished 3 weeks of radiotheray and drove to the hospital everyday myself, a round trip of 50 miles.     

I only did light house work and walked the dog  Some days I called in to meet my daughter in town for lunch then went on to the hospital. If I had tried to do a lot more I would have been tired,so I didn't. The team at the hospital were great and although some days there was extra waiting time for the machines the staff did what they could and I couldn't fault them.

I eat quite healthly and upped my intake to give my body the extra fuel to repair itself. I also walked the dog everyday to stay active.

Everyone is different but I couldn't have wished for my treatment to go any better. Now the treatment has finished my skin might get worse this next week, but after that I hope I should be fine.

Good luck.

Denise 

• Posted

thanks for that Denise.

Home from 2nd surgery yesterday and i feel ok. Wee bit sore and tired but thats normal. I too have a dog to walk and yes, the daily toddle with him will be my regular exercise! My weeks wait to see if this time the surgeon is happy that he got it ALL then radiotherapy will begin in a few weeks. Your comment is very positive so thanku for that. Stay well and keep looking after yourself!

• Posted

Hi blue,

Well I guess better late than never as they say.  Yes, I think you should be able to drive yourself to and from rad Tx.  The fatigue is cummulative and may take a week or so to show but you will definitely be tired.  It can last 1-3 weeks post Tx but before you know it, your energy will start to return.  The radio-onco will prescribe a combination cortisone cream/antibiotic to apply if the Tx burns your skin.  I'm guessing none of us escape that part.  Its the same as getting a sun burn. 

Maybe Denise can confirm this but you should also have a mammo at some point after your rad Tx.  One thing I was not aware of, and I don't know if it would have changed my decision on full vs partial mastectomy, (full, I would have apparently bypassed the rad Tx) is that the radiation Tx itself often causes calcification of healthy cells.  If this is picked on the mammo, they follow it closely as these cells can turn cancerous. 

I'm at that point in my Tx and it was a bit of a surprise frown as I was not made aware of this possibility.  If I would have had a full mastectomy, I would not have had rad Tx.  Opted for radiation to be sure that all the cells were detroyed.  Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Have to wait to see what the radiologist decided once I go see the surgeon mid-month.  Fingers crossed they stay calcified !!

Everyones situation is different.  You are closer to the end than the beginning now.  Keep us posted as to your progress but you seem to be doing well cool !

best, Sylvia

• Posted

Hopefully they will have got everything this time around. I wassore after surgery but more from the wound under my arm. It's. over 6 weeks and I still ache if I do to much with it. Everyone is different but I don't think radiotherapy is too bad.Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.