Just diagnosed.... no help from doctors, wtf?!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi my name is Tara I'm 43 and have always been very healthy. I had some small spots on the top of my feet that I ignored for about a year. Then in Aug I woke up one day to find myself covered in small red bumps. Maybe about 100 different spots! Legs, feet, and elbows. I was experiencing a lot of stress at the time. Over the last year my dad died, my boyfriend broke up with me, I got an eviction notice on my rental, and then the day before the GA appeared my mom told me she is selling the family house which I didn't take well. I cried all day, felt like I was on the verge of getting a cold and thought I might wake up the next day sick. Instead I woke up with GA all over.

I didn't know what it was at the time. Thought I might have bed bugs. Spent months going crazy cleaning my apartment, it was a nightmare. Finally saw a dermatologist who said it looked like a contact dermatitis. Then after 2 months with no change i went back to the dermatologist and had a biopsy, positive for GA.

The dermatologist said there's no cure and there's no reason to see her since there's nothing she can do. That was in November. I spent the next 2 months in a severe depression... can't stop crying, this is very usual for me to be this sad even with all thats happened. My b12 levels are on the low side and I asked my Dr for b12 shots and he refused. I think he thinks I'm a hypochondriac. I'm now seeing a naturalpath Dr who thinks I have an underlying parasite infection, I live in Hawaii. So in a week I'm going to start medication to kill the parasites. Praying this madness ends soon... maybe once I get rid of the parasites the GA will get better. ? Hoping

I'm now having hair loss too. And it's bad. I used to be pretty. Now every time i look at myself i cry. Was a professional athlete, I'm gluten free and dairy free, very health conscious. Now completely depressed. Sorry for the long post.... I don't really have anyone to talk to about this. At least no one that understands.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tara! I'm 48 and type 1 diabetic for 27 years. My GA started like yours, a couple of weird spots on my feet. After about 4-5 months a noticed the red bumps all over the backs of my thighs.  Tried all kinds of creams, scrubs...you name it.  I didn't address it with my Dr. until it started creeping around to the top of my thighs and up my sides. He sent me to a dermatologist which confirmed it was GA (which I had never heard of before that).  I have had monthly steroid (Kenalog) shots for the last 4 months and it is slowly fading but not gone yet.  I would suggest a different dermotologist.  I've also read that light therapy can be helpful.  I hope this helps you.  Oh, and I have to think that the stress you are going through is playing a huge part too.  I hope things get better for you.

• Posted

My deepest sympathy. Please get it biopsied before you start taking meds. I'm suprised the naturopath wouldn't suggest that first. Find another naturopath too.

• Posted

I understand. No one has been able to help me either. My GA starts small and then grows into a huge ring. It's embarrassing. It looks like ring worm. I have it on my ankles, all around my lower legs, all over my forearms and now the tops of my hands which I can't hide. If something works for you let us all know. rolleyes

• Posted

I've started taking MSM daily.  Very curious to see if this helps. I had read on another post here that someone had very good results with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.