Just diagnosed with inflammatory hand osteoarthritis, what now?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm only 44, and have this in both my hands for the past 3 months. It started so quickly and i have pain in most of my hand joints now. Can anyone tell me if this will just progress rapidly or can it go into remission? my doctor says there is no treatment other than pain management.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think you will get better support if you go to the more active forum, HealthUnlocked. I'm sorry I can't post a link. But they do have communities for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, for example. I would also suggest you might want to seek another opinion as generally speaking ordinary osteoarthritis is not called inflammatory, although I believe it is acknowledged that it has some inflammatory features. Inflammation can be treated.

If you have osteoarthritis it is actually fairly important that you not take nsaids on a regular basis as they interfere with cartilage renewal.

One thing you can do for osteoarthritis is take glucosamine sulfate. You would want to get a capsule, not a hard tablet, and take two doses of 750 or 1000 mg a day. I always have mine with a meal. It is not a simple painkiller but there is some evidence that over time it helps to maintain cartilage.

If you google healthunlocked inflammatory arthritis you should easily find the forum I was speaking of. It is much more active these days than Patient is. I'm over there in Arthritis Action and a couple of other communities as HeronNS.

• Edited

I've just come across an article which might be of interest to you. Again, I probably won't be able to post a link, although I'll try. Google healthline 11 hand exercises to relieve osteoarthritis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.