Just diagnosed with PCOS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Today I was diagnosed with PCOS and wanting some help to digest it all. I have irregular periods and when I do have a period they are very heavy. When I came off the pill when my partner and I decided we wanted to have a baby it became apparent this would be difficult with the lack of regularity. Went to see a Gynagolist who sent me for a ultrasound and internal scan to look at my ovaries also a blood test. bloods came back fine but there are cysts on my ovaries. PCOS then. What are the chances of becoming pregnant? Do we just keep trying? How can my periods become regular? Any help would be extremely kind. X

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Being diagnosed is so overwhelming. First of all, does your doctor have much knowledge of PCOS? Did they recommend treatment such as metformin? There's lots of success stories with people with PCOS having children. The best thing to do is not stress, PCOS doesn't react well to it. Also, did they mention anything about diet?
    • Posted

They haven't given me a plan yet as my partner needs to have a sperm count to make sure it's just my PCOS that's in the way of becoming pregnant. Doc said to lose weight as this is the best way of getting successful results (hardest thing ever) 
    • Posted

Ahh it is especially as you need to watch what you eat now. A low GI diet is best, search on Amazon for the PCOS diet book, I found it really helpful.
  • Posted

You seem to be in a very similar boat to myself, I got diagnosed back in november, my Doctors havent been so useful i have found forums like this more helpful.

I have been told that my best bets are to lose weight first and for most - easier said than done when weight gain is a symptom of PCOS.

things like the pill wont help all that much  - according to my doctor you just need to not take anything and have lots of sex.

I've recently come across Inositol which you can buy in powder or tablet form - powder is better. It helps will all the symptoms of PCOS. 

It helps with weight loss, the mood swings and depression, fertitly, regular ovulation it also helps with getting a healthy egg and all round healthy pregnancy. There have been several studies in it and women swear by it now. 

I've only recently found this myself and just started taking it today so hopefully this helps me. It could be something you could consider.

I was devastated when i first found out especially as the doctors require weight loss and you to be trying for a certain period of time before they help with fertility drugs. 

• Posted

I've never heard of Inositol. Where can you get this from?
    • Posted

You can buy it on Amazon. it comes in a powder about £16 for 250g. you start with just 1/4 teaspoon a day in like water or juice. then maintain that amount and slowly increase it. to 1/4 twice a day and so on. check online loads of reviews etc

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the specific product name as we do not allow repeated posting of product names in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Never heard of inositol either. I take seaven seas conception pills but that's it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.