Just discovered HS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just found out what HS is and I'm very concerned that I might have it. Though I have the symptoms I just really don't want to have to deal with something like this for the rest of my life. I got my first abscess under my arm a while ago when I was maybe 15 and never had a problem until last year. I have one that I had since maybe Feburary and it's not fully healed. It doesn't hurt unless I press on it hard and it's just not sealed. I figured it was just an ingrown hair that never got released I guess. The last one I got was in May, it was huge and took a long time to heal. My doctor said it was just a boil and it'll drain itself and it did but it took about a month for it to fully heal but it's scarred. Now I feel two abscess near each other. I don't know if this is HS or maybe I should really just stop shaving. If this is HS can I just continue what I usually do and let them pop on their own or should I go consult a doctor? I don't know if HS gets worse if you don't see a doctor cuz for all the treatments listed for HS it's just treated like a normal cyst would be.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with HS. The advice on here Jordan is to get it seen to whilst it's in the early stages to prevent it going into the later stages when it could affect different areas. Get yourself referred to a dermatologist so that you can start treatment asap. I've suffered with this for 45 years but at least now you have places like here where you can get loads of support and advice. I wish you luck !! x

• Posted

Jordan, the advice Anne has given you is very sound; get this under control while it's still in a fairly early stage, it will only get worse if you don't. You need your doctor to give you a course of antibiotics, possibly in conjunction with a short course of steroids (prednisolone), and a referral to a dermatologist.

• Posted

I, like you, kept thinking it would improve on it's own, but it didn't, it got worse. When I saw my GP I only got very limited treatment (most GPs don't know what it is or how to treat it!) so it continued to get worse until it really got a grip. See your GP, be very firm (take someone with you if necessary!) and say you've done your research. Don't be fobbed off.

• Posted

I also suffer from HS. I had surgery back in May on my left underarm (I had about 6 of them and would not heal). Now I'm waiting for my insurance to approve my second surgery on my right underarm. One thing I've learned is stop shaving. I've taken several courses of antibiotics nothing seemed to work for me, except surgery. Since then I've had none on my left underarm. I still get them in my groin area. Please don't let it go untreated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.