Just got my gall bladder out!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey I'm hoping to hear about some other people's experiences and if they're similar to mine! I'm 21 and had to get my gall bladder removed after being rushed to ER with severe chest pains which resulted in me passing out and convulsing (I have Vesal Vegal syndrome), so the hospital ran some tests and decided I had a gall bladder with sludge and stones. I went to one of the best hospitals where the surgeon teaches other surgeons how to do the laparoscopic surgery (which eases my nerves a bit, as this was my first surgery and I was scared!) I remmeber initially being super anxious and freaked out about being put under, but when it came down to it, I didn't even realize I was put under lol. I was talking to the nurses and the funny anesthesiologist and next thing I know I'm waking up in a different room with some pain and a sore throat! Now here's the thing that was different: it was supposed to be outpatient ( I was supposed to go home an hour or two after waking up) but my heart rate was just booming for hours and wouldn't slow down. they became worried that i had internal bleeding and ran me through all these tests. then in they admit me into the hospital and I get a visit from the SEPSIS WATCH TEAM which I knew nothing about until they said there's a high mortality rate for people with the infection so there went my nerves! I was stressed out and worried the whole next day and they had to put a damn catheter in me and all this crap. eventually I left a few days later after many tests and such, but the blood tests aren't back yet on the infection yet which I don't understand. why would they send me home? my surgeon never came to visit me after the surgery either, so I never got a real update other than from the nurses who sort of knew what was going on. I'm home and have been on tramadol but i feel no difference. in the hospital they had me on Vicodin the highest dosage and I still didn't feel anything. so anyway apart from my story, about how long was recovery for you? I have finals next week and I'm getting worried. the gas they put in me seems to be the biggest source of pain right now and i still haven't had any bowel movement in four days since my surgery. how long before you can sleep on your side? how long before you can walk and sit through class or work? how long before you were able to have sex again? so many questions!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ah bless you Brookley.  My first bit of advice would be to try and calm down a bit.  I know it's not always easy.  But stress makes pain worse and doesn't make you get better any quicker.  Just take it easy and go with how you feel.  You will know in yourself when you are starting to feel better.  I like you didn't have a straight forward surgery.  But certainly, you will feel better slowly and with each day.  Rest up.  Plently of fluids.  Watch what you eat, go as low fat as possible.  See your own Doctor for some medical help.  Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Little Miss Dolly's advice is right. Take it easy and you will know yourself when you feel up to doing things. I had my gall bladder removed on 19 April. Keyhole tried but ended up with open surgery due to inflammation. I am taking it day by day. Just had staples out this morning but feel so tired. Nightime not good. Had a few sleepless nights. Hang on in there. I am!!
  • Posted

Hi Brookley , I had my GB removed last Wednesday.  I found peppermint tea helped release the gas.  Started eating very small low fat meals from Thursday and couldn’t open my bowels until Sunday, when it was just a little.  I took 5ml a day of lactulose from Friday which eventually did the trick.  (Now it’s swung the other way but I think that’s just due to the strong antibiotics I’ve been taking as I’m being careful what I eat.)

As regards the pain, it’s gradually eased off during the last couple of days.  I found bedtime difficult, had two pillows under head and another under my legs which stopped the wound pulling so much but am still a bit reluctant to lay on my right side as I’m aware that it’s still healing.

Sorry to hear you’ve been through such a scary experience and hope you feel better in time for your finals.

• Posted

Forgot to say, as regards sex, I was told to wait a couple of weeks before doing gentle exercise but at least 4 weeks before anything strenuous.  In any case, as my keep-fit instructor always says, listen to your body - it will tell you what it can and can't do!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.