Just need support from other sufferers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I’m 35, female, a little overweight. I’m pretty physically active (or was). I’m on my feet most of the day tending after 3 kids. We get out a lot. I’ve been dealing with plantar fasciitis bilaterally for 1.5 years. It started suddenly while I was power walking 1.5 years ago. I limped home that evening and have never been the same. After about a month, I started seeing a podiatrist. I went thru all the noninvasive remedies: supportive shoes with inserts, injections, voltaren gel, taping, PT, night splints, daily stretches at 4-5 times during waking hours, and finally had surgery on left in Jan 2018 and right in March 2018. Both had open plantar fasciitis release. I was nonweightbearing for one week post op and then continued in walking boot for another 3 weeks. My left foot felt better immediately, but now the pain is starting to come back. The surgery did not work at all on my right foot and in fact might be worse. I’ve been referred to a neurologist (haven’t gotten my appointment yet) to rule out any nerve issues. My podiatrist said if that’s normal then the only other option is a revision, starting on the right foot first. 

I am just feeling very anxious, depressed, mad, furious actually...why haven’t even of these interventions worked for me? Will I be walking on my toes for the rest of my life? Will I ever be able to power walk, jump, sit on the floor and be able to get up without looking like I’m severely handicapped again? How will I manage when I’m 70+? I’m just so depressed and feel hopeless. 

What other options do I have??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello im sorry to hear about your pain. Im almost 4 weeks out after a plantar fascia open release. I also had gastroc release of my calf muscle as well. My dr has told me non weight bearing for 4/6 weeks. Im surprised that you were put in a walking boot so quickly. Definitely seek another opinion from an orthopedic foot surgeon. You never mentioned if they did a gastroc release on your calf. That may be a factor as well. Good luck to you I hope you get some relief.
  • Posted

Hi Andrea,

sorry to hear you are still struggling after trying all the usual remedies.  I am 62 years old and understand your frustration and worry for future activity, I was a hill walker doing 14 miles a week plus twice weekly Pilates and yoga with swimming in between.  After nine months I can still only walk about  1 mile without sharp pain and always have inflammation at the end of every day.  I had plantar fasciitis, plus Achilles tendinitis and peroneal tendinitis all at once. An X-ray diagnosed osteoarthritis probably caused by an ankle sprain I had some 13 years ago.  I too have tried all the usual treatments, shoes, inserts, endless stretches, and ice.  I have had really sharp pain which gets worse the more I move antiinflammatories don’t help at all. At my last physio visit it was suggested I have nerve pain, likely caused by inflammation.  I was prescribed 10 mg amitriptyline daily, given a new exercise to floss the nerve path and told to increase the use of ice  (I now plunge my foot into a bucket with cold water and 3 ice blocks for 20 minutes).  Hey presto, the pain has reduced and slid away after  a few days.  The medication makes me a bit weary but I’m happy to put up with it for now.  I’m back at Pilates once a week (doing a lower level for now) and yesterday walked 2 miles with little pain.  My foot feels a lot better generally, so I’m hoping I’m now on the right path.  I’m continuing with the stretches every day and shoes with inserts etc.  Hopefully you will get relief soon and like myself be able to start back on a path for a healthy lifestyle.  Good luck. Sue

• Posted

Andrea; I had PF and did the usual things, such as bought insoles, rolled the frozen bottle of water under my foot, stretching, and finally an injection in my left heel. Because it started in the left heel, I began to favor that foot bringing on pain in my right. I work twelve hour shifts in Manufacturing on concrete. When I went to get my injection my podiatrist told me "This is going to hurt". To which I replied "You do what you have to do".

The injection paled in comparison to what I had been living with and waking up to each morning. Today I am pain free and I want everyone with this affliction to be as pain free for the same costs. One day at work, as I was walking to the end of my production line (350 feet away), I turned around and took a few steps backwards. When I turned back around and began to walk forward again, my heel did not hurt as bad. That afternoon I stopped by the school track and walked the front stretch backward, trying to have my right arm and left foot both out in front at the same time, and trying to keep the distance of each step as though I were walking forward. Concentrate on how the ball of your foot strikes the ground. Stand up straight, maintain proper posture. If someone were to take video of you walking backwards and played it in reverse it should appear as though you were walking forward. A little over two years now without hurting, if I feel even a twinge of pain in my heel I simply take a few steps backward. I credit this alone with my PF relief, although I do have a pair of SOLE brand insoles in my work shoes. At around $40.00, they have crazy good arch support. So if you are still fighting PF, best of luck. I hope this helps and if it does, please share with others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.