Just started Sertraline feel awful

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm literally on my first couple of days of Sertraline and I feel awful. I've been through a difficult time over the past 6 months and am suffering from anxiety. Been prescribed 25mg daily to start with. I'm also getting other tests done for some physical symptoms that I think have been caused by the stress. My anxiety today has even through the roof, my physical symptoms feel a lot worse, and I'm convinced that the test results are going to come back with the worst case scenario, in spite of being fairly confident before now that they were stress related. On top of that, I had anxiety last night that meant I got about 2 hours sleep, I have a thumping headache and I just feel full of dread. Please someone tell me that this is normal. And please someone tell me that it will get better soon!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes this is normal - Sertraline can make your anxiety worse at the start before it reaches the therapeutic dose , it is your body adapting to the increased serotonin. It will level off , if it become intolerable ask your GP for some diazapan or another low dose benzo to help take the edge off whilst you acclimate to the medication. It is also a good idea to avoid all caffeine and alcohol as those substance can affect your mood and anxiety level on top of the effects of the Sertraline.

Some people take longer than others to make it through the side effects , exercise helps mediate the excess nervous energy, but it can be hard to motivate yourself when you feel crap.

• Posted

hi i am 5 weeks in and completely understand where you are coming from. my first six days were horrendous Had a massive panic attack on the 6 day rang doctor and he gave me propananol which which is the heart red and has helped me massively. Please continue doing them will start to see the result. After about two weeks I started to tell the difference.

• Posted

I am on my 4th day of 50mg and finding the side affects awful. headaches, feeling sick all the time, unable to sleep and unable to eat. my appetite to eat is zero at times anxiety feels worse. Have been on diferent forums etc and the same answer is given stick with it as it will get better. but if your unable to cope and struggling call your gp. here if you ever need to chat .

• Posted

Everyone feels awful in the first few days or weeks , thats why the gp would have prescribed the medication. It will get better but the first fortnight can be tough.just hold on to the fact that it will get better,even though you might not be able to visualise that yet.Soon the anxiety will lessen and things will improve, it wont be a linear improvement, you will have good days and bad and the anxiety may re-emerge at times which might worry you, if that occurs it shows how much better you will have become as the constant anxiety and panic will have subsided. Anyway, enough rambling, good luck, and stick with it , by taking the medication you are taking back control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.