just taken my first sertraline and now getting panicy advice please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed diazepam a few weeks back for a panic attack and severe stress / anxiety (quick extreme loss of temper too) anyway was taking 2mg diazepam each am when woke up and was feeling fab, sleeping and no loss of temper then doctor said I can't stay on them so prescribed amitriptoline excuse the spelling and after one dose I had to give it up due to feeling drunk 18 hours later, unfit for work and horrible nightmare the same night so he has now put me on sertraline,  I have taken my first this morning (half of 50mg) as I'm scared shirtless of getting a side effect. Can anyone telle how long before the side effects will start and what they are liable of being, also I have diazepam in the cupboard so it it worth me taking it until the sertraline kicks in (how long will that take) sorry but my doctors is closed and I woke up this am with the determination to get myself sorted instead of leaving the  sertraline sat on side looking at me. I took it 30 min ago and I don't know if it's the meds or anxiety but my head feels funny and I don't like it.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I felt side affects really quite soon within a few hours, I remember reading though that side affects are good and they mean the meds may work well.  Who knows but it helped me through the first weeks.   I did take diazepam for the first couple of weeks as needed until the sert had settled in.
    • Posted

Natalie how often did you take diazepam and what dose was you prescribed if you don't mind me asking. As I have 2mg but scared I get addicted 
    • Posted

Me too I was petrified and I did go through a whole pack and my doc was reluctant to give me another script but she did and I have only had one tablet out of it probably 2-3 weeks ago now as my anxiety was through the roof I only ever took once during the day other than that just at night before bed.   I too was so worried about getting addicted but had no problems just not taking anymore once I felt good.   I have 3mg tablets.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply. Could you tell me how long it took and at what mg for you to feel better? 
    • Posted

I was the same with the diazepam but was taking 2mg every morning if I needed it or not to prevent the attacks etc and I did have a week off and didn't feel as though I was having withdrawl symptoms or anything. I was told though not sure how true i is bu 2mg once a day is hard to get addicted to. I was prescribed it 3x a day but only took it once in am and as I say felt great and wish my doc would let me stay on in but hey ho I have a cabinet like a pharmacy trying to find an AD that will agree with me. 
    • Posted

I was able to function after a few weeks my biggest thing was more anxiety which was hard by 4 weeks I saw tiny improvements and by 6 weeks I was great !!! 3 years ago I went on sert for 6 months and it only took 3 weeks to work that time.
  • Posted

I took my first sertraline tablet 4 days ago and the side effects took about a hour or 2 to kick in and have been led in bed for the last 4 days due to feeling ill from the side effects but All I keep in my head is that the side effects shouldn't last no more then 2 weeks so just going to fight through them.  Sertraline can take a few weeks to work. I have been given 2mg of diazepam for if and when I need it which I didn't till last night when My arm went all achy so it caused a panic attack. Really hope the side effects are not to bad for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to keep taking my diazepam each morning just to keep on top of it. Can i ask what mg sertraline your on? 
    • Posted

Can i ask what effects these were please? Nausea headache or fuzzy head etc I'm thinking allsorts right now I'm imagining myself laid there for a week being sick all over head pounding uncontrollable shaking and seizures. This is why I don't like medication especially when I found somethin that had no side effects except calming me down. Think I may need to take a diazepam before I give myself a panic attack :-( 
    • Posted

My doctor has but me straight on 50mg sertraline she didn't tell me that I will get worse before I get better which I feel as though she should of warned me. Just took my 5th one and have manged to stay out of bed so far this morn even though everything around me feels weird like I'm not here. Did anyone else get this feeling? 
    • Posted

I have loss of apitite, achy arms, feel

Sick reach and nothing comes up (sorry TMI) headache, tiredness and also tingling in hands and feet but that's a sign of anexity so not 2 sure if it a side effect aswell. Are you showing any side effects? 

• Posted

I only started today but don't feel right already  feel like I need to really flip my lid so going to grab a diazepam and see how I feel. Think is my face feels funny too lol 
  • Posted

Whoops thought you were asking me lol
    • Posted

Lol its ok would have been asking you too in a comment lol. I have been prescribed 50mg but have split it as Im am petrified of not feeling normal (whatever that is) and not being able to function right or work. My face is feeling funny I'm certain of it lol. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.