K2 supplement. Type and dosage?

Posted , 3 users are following.

want to take K2 supplement but want to check.  I've got oesteoporosis and am now taking AA and Cal/ Vit D tablets.  Think I should take Vit K2 as well but is that sensible?  Also, how much and what type?  No blood clotting problems.  Not on any other medications.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Vitamin K2 aims the calcium onto the bones and is not stored in the body so one tablet a day around 180 mcg will be beneficial,

I just take one per night.

What are your tscores?

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, you and Anhaga were really helpful when I was agonising about whether to take Alendronic Acid.  My hip t score is -3.3 so I've decided to take it for 2 years and started 3 weeks ago.  No side effects so far.  I'm also taking calcium Vit D supplements.  I assume from what you've said that it's a good idea to take at least 100 mcg  of Vit K2 as well as the Allendronic Acid and other supplements.  I've gone from no medication to so much and don't want to find I've done the wrong thing.

• Posted

Sorry I had forgotten your story. I don't want to mix people up either. Glad we have been helpful. 

I take magnesium away from everything else but otherwise I do not worry too much.

You have to do what is right for you and then see how that goes because changes can always be made as more information is known.

• Posted

I think the decision to go with the meds for two years, providing you remain side effect free and it's looking good isn't it? is sensible.  Just do all the "healthy" "natural" things as well and you should be laughing in a couple of years!  All the best!

• Posted

Concur with Kathleen on the Vitamin K2 supplement.  The supplements are made from fermented soy (natto) so are mk-7.  What little we get from our food is mk-4.  I believe both are beneficial for our bones.  Just follow dosage instructions on the bottle.  I don't think it's easy to overdose on K2, unlike some of the other fat soluble vitamins, so that shouldn't be an issue. For anyone reading this post who is on an anticoagulant, many of the newer ones are not Vitamin K incompatible, and in any event K2 is apparently not as much of a problem as K1, so small doeses may still be all right.  Check with pharmacist or dietitian to make sure.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.