Keloid Scar... Any help greatly appreciated!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

I am new here so I hope I've posted this in the right place.

I was hoping someone could give me advice on helping improve the look of a keloid scar. Any treatments you have found to be successful would be greatly welcomed.

My scar is around 10 years old. Very ugly to look at (it is very red and I am an incredibly pale young lady!) and can be quite painful at times. I have never tried to treat it before but as time has gone on, the occasional pain has got worse and the look of the scar hasn't improved on its own so I was hoping I could help it on its way! :0)

Does anyone have any success stories?

Thank you!

X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi hollyhocks,

Ask your GP to refer you to a plastic surgeon, they can be improved considerably, ( on the NHS ) they can remove the old scar and make a much more cosmetic result....

My daughter has many white keloid scars on both of her arms ( sadly, from self harming ) she plans to cover hers with tattoos of pretty flowers, she hates them so much, even in the summer, she wears long sleeves....

I wish you all the 'very, very best, hugs th you, Deirdre xxx

• Posted

Hi Deidre,

Thank you for your response! I will certainly take this up with my GP. However, I have heard through my own research (From other sufferers of keloids) that operating over the old scar can make way for an even bigger keloid? I will definitely discuss this with my doctor though. Thanks!

Your daughters' idea regarding the tattoos is a lovely idea and I'm sure they will look beautiful. I completely sympathise with her on the long sleeve thing, it truly is such a shame especially when you go on holiday!

All the best to you too! Holly xxx

• Posted

Hi hollyhocks

The only suggestion is to ask you GP to refer you to a plastic surgeon (consultant), where as the last resort is surgery to remove the existing scar, where you will be left with a much thinner scar. He/she may have other ideas first to suggest/try. Hope this will be of some use to you.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply! I think at this point I would be happy with a scar if it was smaller!

I have heard results have been seen when trying silicone gel sheets and wart paint... I may take a look in to this whilst I wait for an appointment.

Thanks again! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.