Kidney Issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just recently had a kidney test --My Microalbumin/Creatinine is 1080. I of course know that is trally bad. Has anyone ever seen that number. I see my docto on Tuesday..

Thank --very scared!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Do you know what your GFR level is?? 60 or above is classed as normal, if it drops below 30 a nephrologist is neccessary 
  • Posted

My creatinine was over 1000 when I got tested, I don't know about the microalbumin bit. It is not good to have such high creatinine if I'm reading yours correctly as it may be a different metric your using. But my creatinine was 10 times higher than normal and the docs weren't impressed and kept me in hospital.

• Posted

Hi,

If you are in the uk then yes that is very high, with a creatinine leve that high your GFR will be low as your creatinine rises your GFR drops.  GRF is your kidney function %.  The highest mine has been was about 660 and that was when I was on dialysis.  I know it is hard but try not to be scared I have been through end stage kidney failure, dialysis and a kidney transplant and I am still alive and kicking.  It depends on the reason for your creatinine being like this, if you have kidney problems anyway it is chronic kidney disease and this is often not reversable, however if this issue has come about all of a suddern for you it may be acute kidney disease which in most cases can be reversed and is usually treated with temp sessions of dialysis.  There is someone on here who has had actute issues and he had dialysis and is not doing too bad I think it is Eric.  If you have any more info about your condition please let us know.  In the mean time try not to panic this wont help you, you are with the doctors tomorrw so not too long to wait.  Please keep us updated with your progress.

• Posted

Hello, is a GFR above 60 generally considered normal?? My was 62 which i thought was low but apparently it isn't, it is the lower end of normal but not a low reading. My doctor says it has to drop to 30 or below before the risk of kidney failure sets in.

• Posted

That's what mine was 10 years ago... <60

That was 10 years ago tho ... having both MS

and Kidney disease plus epilepsy and others make it one bitch of a thing to have to trudge through each day. Drs tend to downplay everything and the only thing they "offer" is surgery and/or toxic drugs so I quit going to one many years ago....just go when I have an infection.

• Posted

Hi Rachel, i totally feel that, i have unstable angina and severe hypertension and i'm sure it has all stemmed from the kidneys, but because the GFR is not below  a certain threshold they won't do anything, so just have to remain positive.

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Yes anything over 60 is considered normal.  I was already stage 3 when I was diagnosed at 13 (I have Alports so have had it since birth) I was monitored every 6 months at this stage.  I stayed at stage 3 until I was 37 and then it went down hill quite quickly after that so much so that even the neph didn't expect such a decline at such a rate of knotts they call me special.  I have to stress that this doesn't happen to everyone I seem to defy the doctors expectations as I never had sewlling to the body and never had any symptons until near end stage and coped with dialysis without any episodes of peritonitis or any issues at all so I have been quite lucky.  With a GFR of 30 you are on the very end of stage 3b which is 30-44 GFR on the edge of going into stage 4 (there are 5 stages, with stage 5 being end stage) I am not a doctor but have learnt a lot on my journey from my own experience and talking with others.  A GFR is only a best guess, it can be effected by many things that is why creatinine levels are used as they are more reliable.  You can help yourself at this point by ensuring that your blood pressure is within range, that you are not over weight, do some excersise, avoid salt, low salt and ibuprofen.  Hope this helps a bit.

• Posted

Hi Helen, thank you for the input, i have IGA Nephropathy and my GFR ranges between 55/65, i seem to alternate between stages 2 and 3 so would expect i'm probably closer to stage 3, i already have symptoms as in anaemia, loin pain and extreme tiredness, i take BP meds and Folate tablets from my GP, i think it's a case of looking after yourself and eating properly to preserve the GFR, it had worsened considerably over the past few years but am trying to stay positive, thanks once again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.