Kidney stone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in 2013 I had my first kidney stone. I had a ureteroscopy to have it removed. I had another one in 2014 and had to have another ureteroscopy. Since then I have had very frequent right flank pain. Some days I can't even get out of bed. After my second ureteroscopy my urologist told me he saw " a diseased looking, narrowed" part of my ureter. I was in the army then and was medically retired. Since I've been out I've had multiple ct scans that show kidney stones. my pcp referred me to urology, but the referral was kicked back because there was no active hydronephrosis. Now all I have is pain and pain meds that don't really help. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello thehyena89,

It's your friendly urologist here.

My patients who continue to have pain and recurrent stones after ureteroscopy are worrisome for ureteral strictures. These are narrowed areas in the ureter that do not allow urine to flow by which can cause pain and more stones.

Sometimes this causes hydronephrosis but a partial stricture may not. I recommend retrograde pyelograms and possible ureteroscopy with dilation if needed.

Thanks

Dr. Holland

• Posted

I had laser uretoscopy to remove a 6mm stone in December and a stent for 7 days in late December.  I removed the stent myself with no problem and had no other obvious problems or complications.  However, I have had recurring flank and kidney pain off and on for two months on the same side.  I have had no other metabolic or serious health issues, just dull pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.