Kidney Stone Pain?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I woke up Monday morning with instense back pain that radiated to the front and cause sweating and nausea.  It lasted about 20 minutes and was gone.  I have had this about 5 or 6 times with months and even years inbetween.  This is the first time I went to the emergency room.  They worked me up for cardiac issue but found nothing thank goodness.  They did do a cat scan but said nothing about a kidney stone.  I am wondering if I could have passed a stone without knowing it or if the stone mught be undetectable on a cat scan.  We have not been able to figure out what causes these episodes.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Could be a kidney stone - did you suggest this to the doctor?

Am guessing that you are female and that you have not heard the 'ping' of a stone passing?

If the stone is still there then it should be detectable if they examine your lower regions. Stones can try to pass, give you pain, and then slip back up to the kidney where they 'lay dormant' until they try to pass again. So, a stone might still be there for you and it could e the same one that has given you problems over the years every time it makes an attempt to pass down your tubes.

Have a word with your doctor and see what the advice is.

If it's not a big problem, you might just be offered painkillers and advice to drink pelnty of fluids so that the stone doesn't grow in size (it's a crystal that thrives on concentrated urine but which tends not to grow if your urine is dilute).

Once it becomes a big painful problem, then they might do something about it. There are several options when you reach that stage.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you so much.  I am going to pursue this with my pcp.  To be truthful the er and hospital were more concerned with ruling out a cardiac event but they did do a cat scam of the abdomen.  I do know that they found a kidney cyst but I have known that since the last time I had this kind of attack two years ago.  They did not mention a stone or if the cyst had gorwn in size.  Is it possible for a stone not to show in a cat scan?
    • Posted

No, I have not heard a "ping".  The only time I know of that I passed a stone was about 13 years ago and the only pain I had was pelvic cramping during the week and surprise, plinksmile  It was strange.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.