Kidney stone saga

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm looking for anyone who may have had a similar experience with kidney stones, ureteroscopy, stenting or complications stemming from any of these procedures. ive been dealing with issues for almost 10 weeks now and would love to hear if anyone feels my pain.

a little background- i am a 35 year old female with a normal BMI and very small frame (5'1"). i had been generally healthy most of my life other than migraines and being diagnosed with a mild form of connective tissue disorder called ehlers danlos type 3, which mostly just manifests as joint hypermobility, general body pain, and migraines/fatigue. i am also a mid-level healthcare provider in the US. anyway, in 2020 i went to the ER with severe left sided abdominal pain, hematuria and nausea/vomiting and was diagnosed with two 4-5mm left kidney stones. i was hospitalized for 3 days due to uncontrollable pain and vomiting, until the decision was made to perform a ureteroscopy to retrieve the stone. the procedure went well, and i returned home with a stent in place which i removed at home about 3 days later. the pain i experienced during that time was just as severe as the stone itself, but gradually disappeared over a few days after i yanked the stent out in my shower. stone analysis showed calcium oxalate stones.

fast forward to february of 2022. i ended up back in the ER with the same symptoms but this time on the right side. i had a CT scan which revealed a 2mm kidney stone lodged at the ureteropelvic junction (where the kidney meets the ureter). no big deal, i was told by the ER doc. surely it will pass on its own. after a few doses of IV Fentanyl and phenergan my pain and vomiting was controlled and i was sent on my way with some flomax and instructions to drink lots of fluids. however, the symptoms never improved at all. i had a repeat CT done at my urologist about a week later which showed the stone still lodged in the exact same spot without moving, as well as hydronephrosis/hydroureter. i was encouraged to keep waiting it out, however i was in such severe pain throughout this time that life was just miserable. on march 10th i went in for another ureteroscopy and stone retrieval. the procedure was difficult according to my urologist, and he ended up having to perform a balloon dilatation at the ureterovesicular junction just to be able to advance the scope and retrieve the stone, which was actually 3mm, and was still way up by the kidney and hadnt moved at all (17 days!). he ended up placing an indwelling stent which i was told had to be left in for 14 days and removed by in-office cystoscopy. the pain during this 2 week period was excruciating and constant. i had the stent removed in office which was very uncomfortable. about two hoirs later i had an episode of pain that brought me to my knees, crawling on the floor crying for my mommy. i almost went back to the ER but took two oxycodone pills and waited an hour and it finally eased off some.

its now may 3rd (about 5 weeks after stent removal) and i have still been experiencing pain that feels exactly like the kidney stone did, but not as intense. its there every day, its colicky, and its in my right abdomen, flank, and groin, and sometimes hip area. after informing my urologist, he ordered an ultrasound which showed mild 'pelviectasis'. last week i had an IVP (x ray with dye) which showed mild swelling of the right kidney and mildly impaired drainage, according to my urologist. no stones or stricutres were seen. he does not know why this is happening or why im still in pain. i have a CT urogram scheduled for friday of this week. nobody has suggested to draw blood to check my creatinine/kidney function.

im also still constantly nauseated and have very little appetite. im very bloated with any food or drink intake. i hahe tried taking flomax and it does not improve the symptoms.

ive also been having severe anxiety wondering what the hell is going on inside me.

has anyone else gone through something similar?

i will update this post with my CT results in a few days.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am going through this exact same thing right now!

I am on 3 weeks post ureteroscopy, I have had 2 others that went well, but this one has all the same pain you mentioned once I pulled out the Stent, hurts everyday and feels like I will never be back to normal. Did you finally get better? Did you find out what was going on? if so how long till you were pain free? Thanks so much!

• Posted

Hello! I am in about the same situation. Starting in 2017 up until a couple months ago, I have had 3 Ureteroscopies, a PCNL and Lithrotripsy. The stents are the WORST! My kidney stones have been 6mm to 1.2cm. They found out my calcium was elevated due to a parathyroid ademoma and so I had 2 Parathyroidectomies (they couldnt find the tumor during the first surgery). After all of this, I am still getting stones. I had a left and right Ureteroscopy in March and April and just had a follow up kidney ultrasound which shows that I have a couple 4mm stones. How could I develop them that fast? I dont know if it's relevant but I also get migraines and think I may have Ehlers Danlos hypermobility. I wish I knew the answer to all this other than "Drink more water". Let me know if you get any answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.