Kidney Stones - Gross Intermittent Hematuria

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it possible to have gross intermittent hematuria for more than 6 months with kidney stones - no pain or other symptoms

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I would say "of course". Kidney stones do lots of damage inside the kidney whether causing pain or not. They are sharpish multi-faceted stones. Personally, I would seek removal of the stones ASAP. What's stopping you?

• Posted

very normal so long as the stone has not passed, blood in urine means the stone is moving. if seeing the blood gives you a scare or start to causes any burning when you urinate use an over the counter product called AZO

• Posted

Hello, I am a student nurse and from what I have learned pain from kidney stones depends on the size of the stones. Small kidney stones may pass through the urinary tract on its own, causing little to no pain. Large kidney stones are the ones that cause pain because they get stuck. Mainly flank pain. Other symptoms of kidney stones are: constant need to urinate, pain when urinating, inability to urinate, and/or urine that smells bad. A person with kidney stones could also experience fever, chills, nausea, and vomiting. The treatment depends on the type of stone you have, but preventing future stone formation is important. Drinking water, lowering sodium intake, animal protein, calcium or oxalate in one’s food. Although kidney stones can be a reason for hematuria, there are other reasons that can cause hematuria like prostate problems, infection, and hepatitis. Some of these can be serious. I would strongly recommend that one sees their physician regarding hematuria.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.