Knee arthroscopy (medial meniscus), pain after a while

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi 

I had my torn meniscus trimmed 2.5 weeks ago. Felt great almost straight away, walked with no pain from about day three, been walking more and more. Then - maybe I overdid something, not sure - since yesterday, it hurts when I walk and afterwards for a while. Have any of you had a similar experience? Is this normal? Will rest and ice sort it out?

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sadly, been a year for me now and little improvement. Any form of exercise still hurts and never feel totally comfortable, particularly at night. Hope yours is better than mine. Fingers crossed

Ken

• Posted

Hi,

i had my repair 9 weeks ago, I was very mobile and pain free after 3 weeks but sadly now it feels worse than ever. I have pain when I walk and at night. I see my consultant next week. I’ll keep you updated as to what he says!

• Posted

Good luck and yes, do keep us updated. I emailed my consultant last night we'll see what he says. Fingers crossed for both of us!

• Posted

You may have overdone, but it may also be inflamed. try icing the area. I had to have cortisone injections after one of my torn meniscus was trimmed. but it worked. good luck
    • Posted

Thank you, auntiebeanie. That's what I'm hoping has happened. I was so happy after the surgery... May have been a bit too exuberant! 

• Posted

For those interested or / and affected by similar issues: it's now 4 weeks since my op. The flare-up I wrote about in this post calmed down with ice and ibuprofen and, by now, I'm walking long distances and cycling without any pain.

Good luck to you all!

• Posted

thanks so much for the update.  I'm on day 6, and yesterday I probably did the same and overdid it.  I'm back to PRICE: Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate.  Thanks... makes me feel better.  Tomorrow I see my surgeon for the one week check up.

• Posted

Hi ivil, I had surgery three days ago and have been fretting ever since about whether it has dealt with the problem. I feel exactly the same pain on the inside of my left knee but I'm hoping it will settle soon. I've probably been walking around too much and it's so frustrating not to be able to be active. Your recent post has given me some confidence

• Posted

We all just have to be a bit more patient than we want to be...
    • Posted

Not my best quality but you're right. Seeing the physio tomorrow so fingers crossed 🤞

• Posted

I'm six weeks since my surgery and still having pain - sitting still, lying down, sitting down, walking or standing.

• Posted

I'm six weeks since my surgery and still having pain - sitting still, lying down, sitting down, walking or standing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.