Knee problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had a total knee replacement December 8th I have been having some issues like a tightness above my knee

Some tingling and now just recently I started having these pains like

I am being electrocuted on my thigh has anyone experienced this

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would have to say that you are experiencing nerve regeneration after being severed during the surgery.  But when in doubt, check with someone at your doctor's office that you trust to tell you the truth.  smile
  • Posted

I also have the tightness above my knee cap on my 4 month old TKR. It slows me down getting up from sitting and climbing stairs. It's gotten only a smidge better since surgery so I've just started going to an integrative medicine MD. She is doing acupuncture and I start focused medical massage on Thurs. Hoping this helps ease the problem.

As for the other problems I know I've had numb spots on both knees (i've had both done) and they're gradually going away. As someone else said, it might be nerves healing. I know others have gotten meds specifically targeted at this pain.

• Posted

I complained about this very thing to my therapist yesterday. We have a small scar to show for it on the outside,  but a lot more went on inside your knee.  I even get pain I associate with shin splints as well as the shooting pains you describe.  All part of the healing process and may go on for a long time.
  • Posted

Nerves beginning to heal and fire up again. You may go through this several times and in different places. This is the progessive phase of healing and generally speaking, the last phases of real pain. If they becom severe sometimes Dr's will prescribe. Gabepentin or lyrica to help. Both are used for pain related to diabetis
  • Posted

TKR severs many nerves and made me quite apprehensive after my surgery. I was not reassured by my physicians crew when they told me that many people never get the feeling back in their knees.  And that is exactly where I am at approximately 1 1/2 years post-op and 8 falls later...  (Shrug)
  • Posted

Falling is my biggest fear.  I have a friend who did fall after her TKR now they have to go in and do patch up work around her new knee for the six.
    • Posted

I fell the day after my revision. Had a torque break of the femur (twisted the bone into at a 20 degree angle from inside the knee to about half way up the leg.) Had to have surgery the next day to have a plate inserted next to the bone held in place by 4 - 2 inch screws in the knee and 4 more 4" screws all the way through the bone. This has created most of my problems including 2 bouts with staph and 5 additional surgeries. Hard to emphasize enough the dangers of falling. That's why I strongly advocate the use of assistive devices as long as needed.
    • Posted

I have asked so many doctors to please tell me why I fall so much (6 times during physical therapy--and no one cared.), and been to so many different types of doctors about the same issue, but have never gotten any response. Wondered if anyone else had this problem--Thank You.  Did anyone ever tell you why you fall?

• Posted

I fell because of my own arrogance. Trying to do too much on my own without asking a nurse for help. Because of my stupidity I cost the hospital many hours of wasted time in meetings establishing a new protocol for patient care post surgery. As a matter of fact the proceedure would have my name on it if wasn't for The privacy act preventing. Such a thing. As far as your falling, is it Your legs going weak suddenly and just collapsing or loss of balance when you start to turn or move s7ddenly. Try drinking more water and really work on hydration. Sometimes a sudden drop in blood pressure can cause you to lose balance. If you weren't having the problem prior to the surgery it might be a medication problem. Has anyone taken your blood pressure immediately after you fall. I would start with possible dehydration and work from there.
    • Posted

Thank you for the info.  I "just fall".  No weakness-no passing out-no light headedness--it is almost like its a 'normal' thing for me that is why I use crutches most of the time outside of my house.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.