Knee Replacement and walfarin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been told that i need a knee replacement and am still on walfarin after an ablation (which was successful) has anybody got any advice for me as to waht to expect and what pitfalls there are?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I dont have personal experience of either having knee surgery or being on warfarin but for info I have a few friends who have had joint replacement surgery and all are very pleased with the outcome with very few setbacks, so I'm wishing the same for you.  With regard to the warfarin, all I would comment is to check, double check and triple check that your surgical team are fully aware. Unfortunately with the best will in the world, NHS hospitals are notorious for lack of communication (I had follow up surgery on my ankle a couple of years after a major accident and they had knee noted on the paperwork instead of ankle, despite me correcting them and watching a very reluctant nurse amend the notes, even on the very day of the surgery whilst being prepped, they still had the word knee on record - thankfully they believed me (what a joke) that there was nothing wrong with my knee and actually did the surgery on the ankle).  Good luck, I hope all goes well and you have lots of improvement afterwards.
  • Posted

Hello Alan,

To be safe, and keep your life blood where it  ought to be I would check with your GP as to should you in fact stop taking the Warfarin at some point in time Before you have the surgery,  please don't wait until you are in hospital to tell the folks there as this may at the worst  result in the op. being cancelled due to the risk of heavy blood loss and complications with the healing process.   Still tell the hosp. you have been taking it and when you expect to ressume taking it.   

As loxie has pointed out, mistakes are easy to make and you are the one who needs to keep everyone informed,

I do hope the op  brings relief and the recovery is smooth and painfree ( physio aside lol )    

Best wishes

Jessie.

• Posted

the same as jessie , ive had both knees done ,and very pleased withe result ,the 2nd only 10 weeks ago , but both this year , your gp should be able to tell you when to stop your walfarin ,you will also have a pre acesment at the hospital , where they will take bloods , weight ,ecg etc , they will ask you what meds your on and which you need to stop taking before surgery . as for the op its self , it s normal to have a spinal ,with some thing to make you sleep ,you will wake up you will feel great , then as the spinal wears off the pain sets in and its not easy , the first night is the worsed ,after that its a little better , you will need to ice your knee and do your exercises . i really cant say thats its easy but  well worth it .i found that every thing will be explained to you when you go to the pre knee group ,and this site is very good with other people asking questions and answers , hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks s Debbie i jut need to be able to enjy my grandchildren again instead of beingthe old git left on a benh because e is unable to walk and keep up!

Alan

• Posted

Hi alan35503

What was your outcome ?

I am down for a Hip Replacement next month, but have been diagnosed with DVT and on Wafarin.

Wondering if being on Warfarin will delay the op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.