Knee swelling.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Knee badly swollen 6 days post op despite ice rest. I know I read about this before op but I don't know how to retrieve old posts.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

my knees swelled up and lasted about 10-14 days.  also I stopped doing too much as well to help.  then it seemed to get better and went back to exercising.
  • Posted

I was shocked when my knee gave me so much pain. I did not expect it there!  I am 2 weeks 4 days post op. By end of second week I could not understand why my knee hurt so much so asked on here.  And they told me and I realise that it is quit normal. Apparently something to do with pulling leg out of joint. Anyway, I used ice for about 3 days and it is now stiff but not so stiff and swollen. I was surprised to find a bruise on my ankle as well and my ankle hurt. What an earth do they get up to while we are unconscious?  

You will find many new aches and pains over the next few months. If you are worried about anything come on here and one of the hippies will reassure you that it is normal. On the other hand if we think is is not good we will tell you to get help!!

dont worry, put your leg up and ice should sort it out

take care 

lots of love

carol 😄Xx

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op and my ankle still swells up and last night I woke with pain in both grains, I must add we had been away in the caravan seats are lower than my chair at home and bed is harder lol I think a nice early night
  • Posted

As carol has said it often happens as they manipulate the leg out of joint during surgery. Mine were bad both of my ops in terms of pain though I only had a bit of swelling. It stopped quite quickly this time but I had to have physio on it after the first op. I hope yours recovers quickly.

• Posted

Thanks to all for replies. Family made me phone Hosp and they said rest more. I suppose first full day home and had 2 hours sleep and then one just lying down. The rest was sitting up with legs down walking a bit and doing exercises.
  • Posted

hello darling ... scary things, right ? is it just your knee that is swollen or other parts of your leg as well ... the swelling (out of proportion) started from my thigh, went down to my knee, calf and ankle - I was impressed by the size -- it lasted for about 2+ weeks -  are you in pain ? remember that you are moving differently now - pain will show up in weird places - my feet and ankles want my attention now - probably I keep them so tense when walking --poor things ..

be kind to your body - she is working so hard to repair the trauma - the healing and strenghtening of weak muscles - thank her for doing a good job - no need to look for old posts - I don't know how to retrieve them either - just come back here and ask, share ... you are doing great ! 

have a good and calm night 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Sent to bed early tonight. Aye the thigh knee swollen. Will rest more in bed tomorrow. Get upnwalk around then back on bed. Tried doing the exercise where I try to kick my butt but no joy. Hole we all get a few hours.x
  • Posted

Hi, Unfortunately it's normal. My knee was very swollen, bruised and sore to touch until 4.5 weeks post op. I was advised to rest, elevate the leg, ice and drink lots of water which didn't seem to have much effect. At 3 weeks my physio also gave me a Tubigrip to wear over the knee during the day and the swelling gradually reduced over a week. I feel so much better now and am convinced the Tubigrip helped. It may be worth a try if all else fails.

Take care xx

• Posted

I have Ted's on. Did you put on tubigrip as well.
    • Posted

I had TEDs up to my knee and Tubigrip from my knee up x
  • Posted

8 weeks post op, foot and ankle still swollen, though not nearly as bad, was just like an elephants foot so will resolve in time.
  • Posted

Yes my knee did swell for a few weeks to almost one month.  One trick to monitor it is to take a piece of yarn, string or tape measure and wrap it around only once on the most swollen part.  Either make a mark on the string or cut it exactly where the ends touch and meet.  Then you can put it around your knee every time you feel you want to check it.  At least I knew it wasn't getting larger.  Then happy as it got smaller.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.