Knee/Thigh Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good morning all,

I'm new here and I'm driven here by an agonisingly protected knee complaint. I'm a cyclist have have been for 10 years. I'm 25 and a teacher so advice I've had to stay seated constantly isn't particularly effective.

In March I was competing in an audax and 100 or so miles in I started to experience a dull ache in my right leg above my knee to the outside. I had no option but to cut short and cycle 70 miles home.

Over the next few weeks I abstained from cycling but the pain didn't subside. I went to see a Physio who diagnosed it as a pulled tensor fascae latae (excuse my spelling) so he manipulated it and prescribed a tens machine. After several weeks off and using the machine to no avail I visited another Physio who attributes it to weak glutes putting excess stress on other parts of my leg and prescribed a series of gluteus activation and strengthening exercises.

These seemed to work for a while and for a period I was able to get back cycling. I kept up my exercises but again the injury returned and now it's worse than ever. I'm currently into a stint of 12 weeks off, now with an NHS Physio who has given a similar diagnosis but the exercises don't seem to be doing anything. I wondered if anyone could offer any advice if they have had a similar injury. I'm still not wholly sure it is my itb and it could be my lat vat.

I have finally been given an MRI appointment (6 weeks time) because in my off time I was recommend to swim and now I have a suspected torn meniscus but I want to do all I can in the meanwhile because I'm getting incredibly fed up and down about not being able to do anything.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly received.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hate to say it but...  If something is torn, you don't want to make it worse so I would just sit back and take it easy but don't let your muscles atrophy.  Light quad workouts...more reps with less weight.

Note that the MRI may show nothing.  I had 4 knee scopes before my TKR and each MRI was inconclusive before the docs went in and fixed the problems.  Don't be surprised about a negative MRI...you may need a scope to find and fix what's wrong.

• Posted

Hi Adam, Jump on youtube and have a look at these two test: Thomas test & Ober's test. Perhaps talk to your physio about them, should direct their tx. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.