L5/S1 microdiscectomy/lumbar decompression

Posted , 2 users are following.

I  had the above op 6 days ago following 4 months of agonising sciatic pain.  I  was discharged the day after and although the op site has been sore, I have taken only paracetamol since the op.  I am continuing on the Gabapentin, but on a much reduced dose,until I have seen the surgeon this coming week.  I was told that I could still expect some sciatic  pain becasue of the operation as the extruded disc material was removed from around the nerve root and this would have irritated the sciatic nerve.  However I have had no sciatic pain down the leg/foot - just a tight sort of pulling in the back of my leg on occasion.  I get a tingling 'pain' at the base of the spine going into the buttock when I lie on my back.  And my right foot/toes are numb.  Early days I know but I am hoping that all these symptoms will eventually go as it all settles down.  Can anyone identify with my experience?  Am remaining positive.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey Lulu,

Just wanted to write a word of hope and encouragement, that what you've been through sounds awful and I do believe that you are going to get fit again and through this tough time. I've had back pain to a lesser degree which thanks to God hasn't needed surgery or anything and grateful for that, but it has still stopped me from working and got me so down - so I know words can't describe how hard things must have been for you, but I do believe God heals and that there is hope and a pain free life ahead for you. Really hoping and praying for that today, was trying to send you a link to a healing prayer but it wasn't letting the message go through with it unfortunately. 

Take care and hang in there - thinking of you,

?Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.