labyrinthitus

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was admitted to hospital last week crushing pains  in head and lost of balance and confusion and nearly passed out i was put on the stroke unit and all tests  bloods ct scan all clear then i had a mri scan no results as yet as i could walk without feeling like i was gonna fall they discharged me after 2 days and told me to see my gp which i did i told him what had happened and he suspects labyrinthitus and am on 5mg of prochlorperazine i have been on them 4 days and i fell worse now then be4 i went into hospital the meds just mong me out i feel like a zombie and all i want to do is sleep in fact 1 day i just couldnt get out of bed at all  i still feel so dizzy and i really have to go very slow or i feel im gonna fall  i also have a feeling in my chest tightness or could be indigestion i dont really know i have found im forever dtinking cols drinks as my mouth is very dry im really just not myself and i feel so down  should i carry on with the meds or go bk to explain to doctor how im feeling he told me to go bk in 2 weeks but i dont think i can carry on like this for 2 weeks please help

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It's early days try to take each day as it is gradually slowly doing a little bit more to get your confidence up, don't get anxious about it all, good your ct scan and bloods were clear. 
    • Posted

thanks for reply yes im up today as i thought just gonna make it worse lying in bed  so im just gonna go slow wen i get up and do anything  its a alfull illness  and i hope it goes away im due to have my ears syringed been on list  weeks  would i still be able to have this done do you think  x

• Posted

That's up to you and your GP do you need it doing is there a reason, all on the forum have similar problems although what's good for one isn't for another, it does make you tired especially in the early days you gradually learn to pace yourself, I spent a full week in bed and then slowly slowly did more going to bed early. But anyone will tell you feeling tired is normal, your brain is having to work over relearning to balance and work with your eyes and ears and not get confused, you will get there in the end, Labrinthitis isnot nice but hang in there 😊
    • Posted

thank you hun im up today and ive joined a support group on facebook  been doing some gentle excercises with my head i found its helped  im up today and have been able to cook a meal which im so happy about  im also going to try ginkgo x

• Posted

had blocked ears few weeks ago before the labs  so was told i nedd my ears doing the waiting list is a few weeks i will ask doc wen i go bk for my appoiment

x

• Posted

Hi, the medication you mention also made me feel worse and i just made a phone appointment with dr ad they said to stop taking it, so i would do that - prointless if yu feel ill.   had that tight feeling in my chest too, espcially after eating and turned out i had a hiatus hernia!  I notie that when that is playin up it my vertigo is worse, but don't know why.  |however, having said that, headaches, gutsache (have \IBs), any kind of 'other' pain going on seems to do that as well.  Dry mouth is also a problem of mine, when i a feeling worse that is.  And for what it's worth at those times (dry mouth etc|) i also pee more!!! - sorry maybe tmi, but it's a symptom.  There is a condition called Sjorgens which dry mouth is part of symptoms, but also dry eye - do you get that at all??  (I don't thank goodness, but because my eyes feel strained at the end of the day dealing with all this balance stuff, i put some moisurising drops in purely for soothing effects).
  • Posted

Aww it is horrible but does get better. I was scared to move in the beginning but you have to. I'm 8 weeks in and just starting to get more good days than bad. Though I get tired very easily. I'm currently taking betahistine for mine. I've been referred to ENT but not heard yet xxx 
  • Posted

Hi pat. Labrynthitis is an awful thing to deal with and can last from weeks to months. Maker sure you rest and drink plenty of fluid and try not to panic. Try not to take any anti dizzy medication for more than 2 weeks because this will not aid the compensation process. Your brain needs to compensate for any inner ear damage and it can only do this if you try to carry on as normal which is very hard I know. Ask your gp about gaze stability exercises. I am going through a similar problem with vestibular neuritis and it is truly awful. Please try and stay positive through these horrid symptoms. I hope some of that helps. Your symptoms will decrease and you will get better. I am in my 8th month of this now but I was like you at the start. For the normal person symptoms last for 6-8 weeks so hopefully you are one of these people. Kindest regards and I hope you feel better soon. Leanne. 
    • Posted

thanks hun im feeling a little better today i have been doing some mild head excises and im going to try ginkgo ppl say it helps x

• Posted

Hi Pat,

I am on week 8 of this horrible illness but I would like to say that I'm definetly getting better.  Here are some of the things I have done to improve my symptoms.

1.  Get rid on meds, these don't help the brain compensate.

2.  Move about, every day I have walked a little futher (even when I wanted to curl up and go to bed)

3.  The headaches are the worst thing (but seeminly this is because the brain is fighting to retrain for balance).

4.  Keep telling yourself that I can't die from dizinesess and you have to be dizzy so that the brain can compensate.Drink lots and lots of water.

5.  It is said that those who push themselves and remain positive get over this quicker (hard at the time I know)

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, Glad you've found a 'recipte' for success.  |Unfortunately it's not  the same for al of us - i have been batling this for 4 years, done all of the above - push myself daily, but after all these years it's hard to remain positive, although i do, and spend a lot of time researching it, doing all kinds of things that may help and will never stop till i find what works for me.  I walk every single day as i have a dog,  i do my own garden which is no small feat, i don't have a car so all my shopping etc etc is done on public transport.  Sadly, no matter how much i push myself, all i get out of it is exhaustion and worse vertigo problems.
    • Posted

Hi Gillian, I'm so sorry you are still suffering this horrible illness for so long, Although i am not completley cured, the headaches are still there and a little unsteady when standing still, I just wanted to give a little hope to those out there (especially at the begining of this nightmare) that some people do show some improvement.  I took tips from numerous websites , especially the ones that recommend that you stop taking the tablets to help the brain compensate. I hope you get the help you need and find a cure soon.

Take care x

• Posted

I'm another with this Going on 4 years,believe me I've tried everything to get it gone,I've got tinnitus and rhinitis going at the same time as well as this balancing act.The latest is the use of Magnets on inside of wrist,these are strong magnets,3weeks not a scrap of difference ,still on board a boat.When you've had it this long if I'd had found a cure to this I would shout it from the roof top,Darren on site now trying out his old glasses,which has found some benefit,All trying to find the reason as to why it's happened ,lots say a virus as to the starting of there problem,mine was a virus to my getting tinnitus and the rhinitis but the balance came way behind that.but I will keep looking for the solution.Now looking into the Tapping Therapy next step ,Regards
  • Posted

Pat, I so sorry you have also had this so long, I know I only had it for months and it had really upset everything in my life I took for granted.  Mines also started a week after I had a virus/throat infection and I also had a seizure for the first time.  I have come from holding on to the wall and furniture to now been able to get abou t(althoughI still have problems with crowds, lights ans massive headaches).  I promissed that if I did get better I would try and give some hope to peopple who are starting this painful journey.  I hope you and everyone with this condition that are battling daily find some sort of cure/relief and can finally get on with your life

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.