Lack of Deep Sleep - can’t tell if I’m sleeping? I’m exhausted.. help

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello everyone .. I’m seeking desperate help from people who have a similar experience or at least have an idea of what’s going on. Please read below…

About me: 26yr old female, never had sleep issues except when I suffered jet lag, usually fell asleep in 10 minutes. I suffer from anxiety and OCD but it never prevented me from sleeping.

The story:

I went to Italy to visit my family and it all went perfect until the nightmare began. The last day before I left Italy to go back home in the UK I bumped my head hard against a shelf. I don’t know but after I bumped my head, something switched in my brain and I started having a full blown panic attack thinking that I had damaged my brain somehow. My anxiety was over the roof and that night I was so scared of going to sleep cause I was scared that I was never going to wake up again. So as you can imagine I had an absolute sleepless night. I had recently heard a story of a woman bumping her head badly (falling from a ski accident) and feeling fine but then died in her sleep so I think that’s what instigated the panic mode.

(Ps: I went to the hospital 2 weeks ago to check my head and they said that there is no brain injury cause I had no signs of it so let’s rule that out..)

The day after, I went to Milan where I had to stay one night in a hotel. I was overall very agitated from the lack of sleep and I don’t know why I was unable to even nap on the train. I go to bed that night and I had another completely sleepless night. In the morning I go back to the UK and I thought that I was just nervous of the travelling and that once home I would be super relaxed and sleep like I always did! But no, I apparently did fall asleep but it was the weirdest sleep - I thought I was awake the whole time but in reality I look at the clock and it was 4am. Felt very weird cause I didn’t feel rested at all, my eyes were burning.. it was the lightest sleep

Since the episode that happened 3 weeks ago, I’ve been having horrible nights with zero deep sleep and I am having these episodes of me sleeping but feeling like I haven’t slept. Sometimes I fall asleep at night when I’m exhausted and then wake up Either 1-2 or 3 hours later and I feel like I am wide awake and I don’t have that feeling of sleep anymore. I wake up in the morning with my eyes burning, muscles are tired and weak and a pressure headache from the lack of good sleep. I also have these weird vivid dreams throughout the night, but I don’t understand how I am having them when I don’t feel like I slept at all.

My anxiety has increased to the maximum and everyday I have anxiety crisis where I cry and call for help in a desperate way… cause the fact that I’m not sleeping deep anymore is making me go crazy. I feel super anxious, I eat almost nothing and I shake the whole day cause I’m tired\anxious of not being able to sleep again. I am not who I used to be anymore, I don’t go out cause I’m exhausted and I don’t do the things I love cause i feel like slowly dying from this sleep problem. Can anyone tell me what’s wrong with me? I am so scared and fragile.. I wish I could get better and continue to live normally.. i feel like I’m dying…

I am asking for your help and I hope this problem will go away but I’m thinking my brain changed somehow and I’m so traumtised

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.