LADIES: Wearing heels after bunion surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone,

It's been almost 8 months since I had my second surgery on both feet. I finally started wearing soft sneakers and my big toes are gaining some flexibility at last... My question is, when did you start wearing heels after your bunion surgery? Is it even possible?... My physio is against putting my weight on my toes for a year..I've read that some women can't wear heels at all. I'm not a regular-heel wearer, but I would like to be able to wear heels sometimes:(

Thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry I am 6 months post op.. not 8:)

• Posted

i had my first surgery in november 2018 with my right foot and this past may 2019 with my left foot. i was told do not touch heels for ONE YEAR per each foot. i have worn one inch heels since and asked my doctor between my surgeries(5months into my first) if that was okay and she said yes but not for the whole night. i was going to a wedding so i wore them for the pictures and took them off to wear flats to dance! i have had zero issues and my doctor told me there is no reason i wont be able to wear them after surgery. the one downer is the type of heel. NO POINTED TOE HEEL EVER AGAIN. anythhing that will force my tow over will be counterproductive especially with certain types of surgeries that dont include fusions. i thre out 50% of my heels but i am confidently wearing 1-2 inch heels for an hour with no pain or problems! granted that is not a whole night out... but i havent hit my year mark and refuse to ruin the work my doctor did for one night out!

hope that helps!image

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying!! I was thinking about the 1 year mark myself since I shouldn't even stand on my toes for a year... i'm 26 years old and honestly i don't wear heels over 4 inches but i'd like to wear a 2-3 inch rarely when i go out, etc...I'll have to be patient and continue the physiotherapy .. problem is, I had 2 surgeries in a short period because the 1st one failed. so my feet have been through a lot of trauma!!! Plus I've lost pretty much all my toe flexibility...i wish someone had told me about these issues!

Your doc did an excellent job! Wish you the best:)

• Posted

thank you and goodluck! i am 26 as well so you and i have great recovery strides!

• Posted

hi,

can i ask wear you got your black sandles from please?

im into my 7 week after my bunion surgery & my toe is still very swollen , im still wearing the hospital shoe they gave me.

i am so hoping i can wear a little "heel in october for my sons wedding , but i dont think i will be able to they told me no more heels.. , i have been left with a big gap which im not happy with , in wishing i'd never had it done now!!!

• Posted

Are these pictures, before and after bunion surgery?

• Posted

yes they are, if you look at the scars going down the inside of both my feet... one is more pronounced (left) because that one was in may and the other in november. i also had hammer toe surgery on both second toes whoch you may be able to see!

• Posted

Nice, your surgeon did a great job. The scars are barely noticeable! My surgery to have bunion removed from my left foot first is scheduled for Nov. 18th! I've been putting it off for years, due to being very nervous and the long recovery!!

• Posted

you will do great! i was supposed to get mine done was i was 17 and i waited until i was 25...lol better late than never

• Posted

i am one year post op from joint replacment and 8 months post op from lapidus on the other foot as that joint was about to dislocate! I wont wear heels again!! too tricky! i tried a pair on before getting rid of them and couldnt even stand for pain!! let alone walk!

the lapidus was a long plate and 9 screws plus bone grafts

after a long year of not much weight bearing I will stay flat!!

take care and dont try until you feel stable and completely pain free!!! your feet will let you know!!

• Posted

Hi Loraine, thank you for replying! I don't have any screws or metal inserted but I did have 2 surgeries back to back because the first one failed... I'm not a regular high heel wearer but I do want to be able to wear heels once in a while when I go out, etc... My bunions formed because I was a ballet dancer and wore pointe shoes..

thank you for your advice.. i will definitely wait a year to bear weight on my toes and i'll listen to my body and how it feels

• Posted

so I’m currently one year and two months post op bunionectomy I can put heels on but it hurts when I apply pressure especially under the great toe what exercises or therapies did you utilize to train your foot to get back in heels thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.