Large perforation: unknown cause.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there. New to the forum. Have had long-standing ETD for twenty years and numerous t-tubes and grommets. The last few months i've noticed this big hole where the t tube is normally situated. My hearing is okay apart from a loss of low frequencies. Seeing my ENT consultant in three weeks, so any info would or ideas would be most welcome. image

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

I have similar issues to you having had a grommet many years ago for adult glue ear ( in my 30 s )

in the last 3 years Ive had an ear drum repair and 2 further perforations.

I have earache/ pain frequently.

recently After waiting 8 months I saw an NHS ENT consultant who said I have a tmj problem hence the earache. Being a dental professional Im fully aware of how bruxing causes ear pain but I wasnt convinced by his diagnosis.

I paid for a private consult with another consultant who thought my symptoms indicated ETD.

I was advised that after a Grommet is used a tiny perforation / weakness is left in the

typanic membrane which increases the chance of further Perfs, also the drum is scarred..

when I looked at the camera images of my ear drum it looks like an old net curtain ! I still have a tear outside the repair !

so Im between two opinions. Im de congesting daily with steam inhalation and steroid nasal spray to keep the eustachian tube open but still have pain.

I understand from some research tmj issues can cause some congestion but dont know ifvthis would cause a perf.

your hole could be a small perforation or an incidental finding on the image ?

Do you get ear pain ?

Id be interested to see what your ENT consultant says.

take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.