Lasting Reflux damage?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. Since around August, I developed the sensation to cough when I am talking a lot of the time, and even exhaling through my mouth seems to give me the same sensation. I have in the past been diagnosed with a 4cm hiatal hernia, that was around 8yrs ago and I used to suffer very badly with reflux, acid coming up my throat several times a day etc. I went on meds and lost 3 stone (intentionally) and have maintained a healthy weight since. The symptoms went away back then after using the meds and losing the weight so I came off the meds with no issues.

Back to earlier this year, I started getting the acid burning in my throat again, I have been under a lot of stress this year, as well as not being careful with my diet. I have been back on lansoprazole 30mg going into the 10th week now. The acid coming up and burning sensation in the throat went after 2 days. I now just seem to be left with this cough sensation. Also, if I stretch my neck, for example if I look directly up I get a tickle at the very base of my throat, which is present daily however doesn't seem to do it every time, bit odd really. Anyway with that, if I talk a lot say on a phone call my throat can start to feel irritated, sore almost temporarily but then eases when I rest my voice. I am not coughing at night at all, it all settles overnight, I am not coughing after food or anything like that, it's just a sensation that's there all day as I say mainly when talking so my question is, could this be nerve damage from previous reflux? I don't really know what to think about it. I have had good blood results recently, 2 chest x-rays which were normal and a throat ultrasound which also returned normal results. Awaiting ENT appointment, just thought I would share my experience here with you and ask your opinions and if anyone is left with similar symptoms. I am a 38yr old male.

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi Mike, i have these symptoms but have a really annoying cough and hoarse voice, iv been on omeprazole for 10 years for Gerd and recently came off all meds so I can have a helocobacter test done, I was also thinking this could be lasting effects of damage from both long term meds and reflux!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.